Copsey wins dramatic battle with Knight to clinch Ely Sailing Club Roswell Trophy
- Credit: Archant
Six helms and crews competed for the Roswell National Twelve Open Meeting Trophy at Ely Sailing Club on Saturday.
In the first of three races, local helm Jack Knight crewed by Mollie Lee lead the fleet from start to finish.
Paul Turner from Trent Sailing Club crewed by Ely’s Ted Pepper came second and George Finch crewed by Lucy Horner from Royal Harwich Yacht Club came third.
After lunch, Gerald Copsey crewed by the Commodore Alayne Seymour lead the fleet. Jack Knight came second with George Finch again third.
The final result depended on the last race. Copsey again lead the fleet but on the second lap Knight managed to take the lead for a short while. Copsey eventually won the race - 50 yards ahead of Knight - and Finch again came third. Copsey retained the trophy for the second year.
You may also want to watch:
1. Gerald Copsey and Alayne Seymour 2 points. 2. Jack Knight and Mollie Lee 3 points. 3. Paul Turner and Ted Pepper 6 points. 4. George Finch and Lucy Horner 6 points. 5. Jonathan Garfitt and Kerry Whitford 8 points. Milton Keynes S.C. 6. Susie Sallis and Izzy Duckworth 11 points Ely S.C.
On Sunday there were seven teams of two who took it in turns to team race against each other.
- 1 Rowdy passengers force train cancellation
- 2 'My UK dream became a reality': World first sake brewery launches in Ely
- 3 7 questions that could decide if you truly are from the Fens
- 4 Man to appear in court after smashing police car window with sledgehammer
- 5 Shocks all round as police pull over 'white van man'
- 6 Man in court over special constable assault and theft of alcohol
- 7 Transport company donates advertising to children’s brain tumour charity
- 8 Gym’s ‘money for miles’ Children in Need fundraiser
- 9 Fire destroys family bungalow in the Fens
- 10 High-flying 'humble' gymnast, 9, top of the tree on county debut
Racing took place in Toppers which were a bit small for some of the adult participants.
At the end of the day teenagers Chandler and Kirk Stamford were the victorious team. Second were Gary Ungless and Kevin Bilham and third were Jack Knight and Steve Board.
On Saturday the second round of the Cambs Youth League takes place at Roswell Waters and there could be more than 20 boats taking part.