Contrasting results for Tigers I and II
Ely Tigers I 13 Wisbech I 44 PROMOTED Ely were taught a lesson by relegated Wisbech in the Eastern Counties Division One clash on Saturday. Kieran Kennett s early penalty gave Ely a good start but the visitors hit back with a penalty of their own.
Ely Tigers I 13 Wisbech I 44
PROMOTED Ely were taught a lesson by relegated Wisbech in the Eastern Counties Division One clash on Saturday.
Kieran Kennett's early penalty gave Ely a good start but the visitors hit back with a penalty of their own.
Wisbech then took advantage of poor kicking and a misplaced pass to score two quick tries.
The Tigers were better in the scrum this week but their defence was patchy and Wisbech scored again to lead 20-3.
However, the home side reduced the deficit through Jimmy Gilbourn's try just before the break.
- 1 Mexican restaurant to open inside former Frankie & Benny's in Ely
- 2 Village road closing for five weeks for temporary barrier installation
- 3 Soham tribute to 'honest, funny, intelligent and understanding human being'
- 4 'A little talent very thinly spread' Mike Rouse, in his own words
- 5 Inferno BBQ to be occupied by sister company Forbidden Burger Co
- 6 Breakup and burglary! Couple's chaos after £101m win on Euromillions
- 7 Ex-soldier Rob on a mission to bring 'ideas and energy' to Ely
- 8 Mike Rouse, councillor, former mayor and historian, dies aged 82
- 9 Students ‘over the moon’ to receive letter from The Queen during project
- 10 Inclusivity at the heart of Dr Pip's goals ahead of Ely by-election
An even start to the second period was followed by Wisbech dominance and the visitors romped to 32-8.
Lee Kupyn touched down for Ely but Wisbech hit back with two tries to make the final score 44-13.
Wisbech II 5 Ely Tigers II 26
THE second team's pack dominated their Wisbech counterparts and pushed their team to a good victory. The Ely scrum provided good ball for the backs and Lee Benzie's opening try was followed by Jules Thorne's score and Joel Scott-Paul's conversion.
Thorne's quick tap from five metres out led to the third try and second conversion of the game.
Wisbech opened their account with a try before the break.
Koen Chamberlain produced great defensive play to keep Wisbech out and Ely wrapped up the scoring through Scott-Paul's touchdown and conversion.