Contrasting results for Tigers I and II
Ely Tigers I 13 Wisbech I 44 PROMOTED Ely were taught a lesson by relegated Wisbech in the Eastern Counties Division One clash on Saturday. Kieran Kennett s early penalty gave Ely a good start but the visitors hit back with a penalty of their own.
Ely Tigers I 13 Wisbech I 44
PROMOTED Ely were taught a lesson by relegated Wisbech in the Eastern Counties Division One clash on Saturday.
Kieran Kennett's early penalty gave Ely a good start but the visitors hit back with a penalty of their own.
Wisbech then took advantage of poor kicking and a misplaced pass to score two quick tries.
You may also want to watch:
The Tigers were better in the scrum this week but their defence was patchy and Wisbech scored again to lead 20-3.
However, the home side reduced the deficit through Jimmy Gilbourn's try just before the break.
- 1 Crews tackle huge Fens blaze
- 2 Fundraiser for mum with terminal cancer to 'have a good Christmas with her family'
- 3 Crash driver flees leaving female passenger injured
- 4 Our archives reveal the 'crackpot' idea to re-open disused rail lines
- 5 Of all the places in all the city to park an uninsured 4x4
- 6 ‘I’m Lovin It’ burglars caught by McDonald's trip
- 7 22 arrests, drugs, cash and weapons seized in county lines crackdown
- 8 Heroin dealer kept machete at home
- 9 HGV crashes into car damaged in earlier incident
- 10 Sat nav 'takes one for the team' in bridge crash
An even start to the second period was followed by Wisbech dominance and the visitors romped to 32-8.
Lee Kupyn touched down for Ely but Wisbech hit back with two tries to make the final score 44-13.
Wisbech II 5 Ely Tigers II 26
THE second team's pack dominated their Wisbech counterparts and pushed their team to a good victory. The Ely scrum provided good ball for the backs and Lee Benzie's opening try was followed by Jules Thorne's score and Joel Scott-Paul's conversion.
Thorne's quick tap from five metres out led to the third try and second conversion of the game.
Wisbech opened their account with a try before the break.
Koen Chamberlain produced great defensive play to keep Wisbech out and Ely wrapped up the scoring through Scott-Paul's touchdown and conversion.