Comrades in sparkling form as they claim whitewash
- Credit: Archant
Table Tennis Soham Comrades V showed no mercy to their two-man visitors Ellesmere 2, sweeping the board to claim the whitewash.
For Ellesmere, David Wiseman took both Nicky Rule and Chris Rule to four legs before he and Peter Armstrong only just lost a long doubles – 10-12 in the fifth – to the two Rules.
The Fulbourn III pair of Phil Hague and Tom Lodziak enjoyed three comfortable wins against the Ely IV team of Rob Pownall, Greg Ozog and Karen Byford.
Sammy Hague was still struggling with the after-effects of a bug and found it hard going, losing in five against Pownall early on, then looking a shadow of his normal self against Ozog. Fulbourn III took the Division 2 match 8-2.
In the Handicap Plate competition the enthusiastic Daniel Hearne-Potton opened proceedings for Fulbourn VII with a win against Mike Perkins (15) of Elsworth II. Then came Rob Powell (13) against Colin Fotland (11) where each player scored over fifty points in the three ends with most of these points won as the result of a protracted rally. With many of the spectators losing the will to live and young Hearne-Potton falling asleep, it was one all and deuce in the decider.
You may also want to watch:
All of a sudden, two quick points to Powell and it was all over. Both Carl Woolf (14) and Powell found Bill Knibbs (11) rather out-of-practice but Fotland’s experience kept Elsworth in the game, hard though Hearne-Potton tried. Woolf was able to see off Perkins to get Fulbourn home but if Fotland had won the marathon against Powell, Elsworth could have won the match as they were favourites to take the three unplayed rounds. As it was, Fulbourn III were the victors, 5-1.
- 1 Rowdy passengers force train cancellation
- 2 Sparkling sake brewery launches in Ely
- 3 7 questions that could decide if you truly are from the Fens
- 4 Man, 20, rapes woman as she slept, court told
- 5 Daughter sets fire to father's bedroom after food outrage
- 6 Child rapist from St Ives has been jailed after abuse
- 7 Shocks all round as police pull over 'white van man'
- 8 Man to appear in court after smashing police car window with sledgehammer
- 9 Woman delighted to finally be a mum after infertility heartache
- 10 Man in court over special constable assault and theft of alcohol