Competition Pays The Price After Ben's Scintillating Performance
SPECIALIST road racer Ben Price blazed a trail through the competition at Ely Cycling Club s latest time trial, romping home over a minute faster than his nearest competitor. Taking place over 16 miles of undulating Fenland between Little Downham and Wel
SPECIALIST road racer Ben Price blazed a trail through the competition at Ely Cycling Club's latest time trial, romping home over a minute faster than his nearest competitor.
Taking place over 16 miles of undulating Fenland between Little Downham and Welney last week, the race saw 18 seasoned competitors battle it out for the top places.
Despite the fearsome competition however, it was young Price who left the competition trailing, finishing in just 38mins 14secs. Price's nearest competitor and regular podium finisher Jason Nixon, was second in 39mins 42secs, Lee Desborough completed the medal positions in a time of 40mins flat.
Steve Presland enjoyed a successful race after a sterling effort against the return head wind saw him home in 41mins 14secs, almost a minute up of seasoned roadie Steve Lightfoot who snatched 42mins 5secs.
You may also want to watch:
With road surface conditions noticeably worse that those of the early season race, racers had their work cut out to make it back to the Little Downham finish in one piece.
Many racers had to settle with results a little way off the same event held in June, but Simon Bottomley who absolutely powered his way over the course, managed to ground out a superb time of 50mins 52secs, a good 12 seconds faster that earlier in the season.
- 1 Our archives reveal the 'crackpot' idea to re-open disused rail lines
- 2 HGV crashes into car damaged in earlier incident
- 3 Caravan wedged under Fens rail bridge
- 4 Rowdy passengers force train cancellation
- 5 See photos of the intricate final stages of the Huntingdon Viaduct removal
- 6 Daughter sets fire to father's bedroom after food outrage
- 7 Drunk driver failed to spot police car parked next to her
- 8 Have your say on plans to improve city rail station
- 9 7 questions that could decide if you truly are from the Fens
- 10 Police buy clothes for Iranian children rescued from lorry
1. Ben Price 38.14
2. Jason Nixon 39.42
3. Lee Desborough 40.00
4. Steve Presland 41.14
5. Steve Lightfoot 42.05
6. Tom Sykes 42.10
7. Colin Whitechurch 43.45
8. Tom Holt 45.28
9. Kevin Jennings 45.33
10. Sue Fenwick 46.34
11. Rob Elton 47.36
12. John Jermy 49.08
13. Jason Ward 49.09
14. Simon Bottomley 50.52
15. Dean Sheppard 51.08
16. Eddie Green 52.57
17. Celia Whitechurch 53.55
18. Graeme Osler 55.25