Commodore Claims Top Spot
ELY Sailing Club s Summer Handicap series returned at the weekend with club commodore Niall Pearcey, taking top spot. Lining up against 14 other contenders across two testing races, Pearcey remained unfazed by the vociferous competition gunning for his fi
ELY Sailing Club's Summer Handicap series returned at the weekend with club commodore Niall Pearcey, taking top spot.
Lining up against 14 other contenders across two testing races, Pearcey remained unfazed by the vociferous competition gunning for his first place and sailed with tactical prowess to secure victory in both of the day's races.
There were wins also for the ever-reliable pairing of John and Mollie Wells who took victories in both of the enterprise class races.
The second round of the Cambridgeshire Youth League was also raced at the club over the weekend with a number of home favourites in action.
You may also want to watch:
A fleet of 26 under 18 year-olds turned out for the three-race series with Ely club member Scott Bilham, taking a respectable seventh place overall in his Laser Radial.
The stand-out performer on the day however, was 15 year-old Jack Knight who counted a third and seventh place on his way to securing a strong fifth place overall, beating a whole host of more experiences sailors to win the best placed under 15 year old's trophy.
- 1 Illegal poachers stopped in their tracks by eagle-eyed public
- 2 Dramatic pictures catch harvester on fire in 4am blaze
- 3 'Loving, caring family man' dies in hospital weeks after A141 crash
- 4 Mosque trust named RIBA client of the year 2021
- 5 Police investigation after village pavilion covered in graffiti
- 6 8 of the best shows coming to Cambridgeshire in November
- 7 Police pursuit of suspected hare coursers ends in success
- 8 Fireworks join Christmas lights on the Covid cancelled list for Ely
- 9 Rats are causing 'abhorrent situation' in town, admits councillor
- 10 US jets to practice flypast over Suffolk this morning
Summer Handicap Race One. (14 boats) 1. Niall Pearcey, (Solo) 2. Andy Wilcox. 3. Eric Christan (Comet)
Race Two. (13 Boats) 1. Niall Pearcey. 2. John and Mollie Wells (Enterprise) 3. Jack Knight.
Enterprise Class Race One. 1. John and Mollie Wells. 2. Greg and Jordan Williams. 3. Denis Copsey and Marie Brown.
Race Two1. John and Mollie Wells. 2. Denis Copsey and Marie Brown. 3. Greg and Jordan Williams.
Solo Class Race One. 1. Alan White. 2. Niall Pearcey. �. Les Booth.
Race Two. 1. Niall Pearcey. 2. Gary Ungless. 3. Alan White.
Laser Class Races One and Two. 1. Andy Wilcox. 2. Scott Bilham.
Young Jack Knight who impressed among strong competition, Photo: SUPPLIED.