Commodore Claims Top Spot
ELY Sailing Club s Summer Handicap series returned at the weekend with club commodore Niall Pearcey, taking top spot. Lining up against 14 other contenders across two testing races, Pearcey remained unfazed by the vociferous competition gunning for his fi
ELY Sailing Club's Summer Handicap series returned at the weekend with club commodore Niall Pearcey, taking top spot.
Lining up against 14 other contenders across two testing races, Pearcey remained unfazed by the vociferous competition gunning for his first place and sailed with tactical prowess to secure victory in both of the day's races.
There were wins also for the ever-reliable pairing of John and Mollie Wells who took victories in both of the enterprise class races.
The second round of the Cambridgeshire Youth League was also raced at the club over the weekend with a number of home favourites in action.
A fleet of 26 under 18 year-olds turned out for the three-race series with Ely club member Scott Bilham, taking a respectable seventh place overall in his Laser Radial.
The stand-out performer on the day however, was 15 year-old Jack Knight who counted a third and seventh place on his way to securing a strong fifth place overall, beating a whole host of more experiences sailors to win the best placed under 15 year old's trophy.
- 1 Person hit by train between Manea and Peterborough
- 2 First visit not 'a flying success' but pub deserves second chance
- 3 Sanctuary Housing criticised over empty homes in Ely
- 4 Fire crews called to car fire on railway line
- 5 MP officially begins new era for major UK supplier
- 6 Huntingdon and Peterborough hospitals bring back masks after rise in Covid numbers
- 7 Lorna’s successful plea to remove £3 shower charge for disabled visitors to The Hive
- 8 Hunt is on for arsonists after 5am car fire
- 9 Threat to cancel or 'indefinitely pause' £450m Ely rail upgrade
- 10 'Cuckooing' drug dealer caught with cocaine to the value of £3,670
Summer Handicap Race One. (14 boats) 1. Niall Pearcey, (Solo) 2. Andy Wilcox. 3. Eric Christan (Comet)
Race Two. (13 Boats) 1. Niall Pearcey. 2. John and Mollie Wells (Enterprise) 3. Jack Knight.
Enterprise Class Race One. 1. John and Mollie Wells. 2. Greg and Jordan Williams. 3. Denis Copsey and Marie Brown.
Race Two1. John and Mollie Wells. 2. Denis Copsey and Marie Brown. 3. Greg and Jordan Williams.
Solo Class Race One. 1. Alan White. 2. Niall Pearcey. �. Les Booth.
Race Two. 1. Niall Pearcey. 2. Gary Ungless. 3. Alan White.
Laser Class Races One and Two. 1. Andy Wilcox. 2. Scott Bilham.
Young Jack Knight who impressed among strong competition, Photo: SUPPLIED.