Colts Football Roundup: Week Ending May 7

Colts football roundup Under 17s Hemingford 2 Soham 3 SOHAM signed off in style as they capped their last game together as a team with a narrow win over Hemingford. The successful Greens team have been together for eight years, securing three promotions

Colts football roundup

Under 17s

Hemingford 2

Soham 3

SOHAM signed off in style as they capped their last game together as a team with a narrow win over Hemingford.

The successful Greens team have been together for eight years, securing three promotions and a league championship in that time, and they ended their time together with a memorable win.

Most Read

The game started evenly with both sides cancelling each other out and it remained this way until twenty minutes in when Daniel Whitwell volleyed into the bottom corner with his first time effort from the edge of the box.

The goal spurred the league champions on and they began playing more fluid football, but just before half-time they were pegged back as Hemingford scored from the spot.

The second-half was a very tense encounter with chances hard to come by but Soham began to create more as the home sides' players tired. Murfitt capitalised on this by smashing home from close range after a measured cross from wide. Soham might have thought they were on the way to a win but immediately a long ball over the top of the Greens' defence found the Hemingford winger who netted.

Soham were not to be outdone though, and they managed to steal the win late on as

Liam Lewis, given the ball from a Goodge throw-in, beat three players with great speed and strength and found the bottom corner with exceptional accuracy from a narrow angle.

Under 9s

Mepal Sports 4

Newmarket Town 4

AN unfortunate deflection off a Mepal player gave Newmarket their first goal.

Good play by Elliot Martin in midfield leads to another chance but a long shot from Newmarket made it 2-0. Shortly after another long shot from Newmarket made it 3-0. A break by Mepal player Elliot Martin puts the ball in the net to make the score 3-1.

A shot from his own half saw Ben Topping make it 3-2 and with Mepal on a roll, Leon Knightley placed the ball in the net to make the score 3-3.

Good passing between Elliot Martin and Ben Blackburn ends with a good finish from Ben Blackburn to make the score 4-3. Newmarket hit straight back with a good half volley strike to make it 4-4.

Littleport 8

Soham 2

Littleport came out on top after a great tussle against a resilient Soham team.

Soham took the lead early on but Littleport responded with five first half goals, experimental striker J Coombs grabbing a great hattrick thanks to the excellent service from wingers Ellis yearn & Mitchell Drewitt. Drewitt then powered in two goals to finish the half on a high.

Soham pulled one back with a long-range effort, but Port seemed to have the upper hand and had numerous chances before the fast improving Jack Jenkins capped a great performance with a well taken goal. Drewitt who tormented Soham all day with his work ethic and great play, grabbed another two taking his tally to four for the match.

Under 11s

Knock Out Cup final

Ely Crusaders 2

Comberton Crusaders 0

A GOAL in each half proved enough for Ely Crusaders to secure the under 11 Knock-Out Cup for the first time in the club's history.

Ely began the game much the better of the two teams and they totally dominated possession and territory for the first ten minutes with both James Barrett and Harrison Jones coming close to opening the scoring. Ely deservedly moved ahead courtesy of a flowing move as Jacob Waters and Lewis Hook exchanged passes down the right side of the field and it was Hook who supplied the perfect finish as his powerful drive flew low into the net. Boosted by the goal Crusaders tried to make the most of their advantage and with Anthony Riches providing some good link up play in the Ely forward line they created several good opportunities. As the half progressed Comberton began to edge themselves back into the game but ultimately they they were kept at bay thanks to the defensive trio of Edward Frodsham, Jake Butler and goalkeeper George Leech, who expertly dealt with the Comberton attacks. With the half coming to a close Sebastian Pettit's long range shot almost escaped the clutches of the Comberton keeper who recovered well to save on the goal line.

Ely began the second period with a renewed vigour and they soon began to string their passes together with much more consistency as both Jordan Marston and Jay Spittles provided some much needed width to the Ely formation. However, even with Sam Felton working as hard as ever in the centre of Ely's midfield, the anxiety began to mount as Crusaders again failed to claim the elusive second goal. With the game moving into the final stages the match remained very much in the balance and it was a huge relief to the Ely team and spectators when Jacob Waters collected the ball on the edge of the Comberton penalty area and thundered his right foot shot high into the net to at last give his team the reassurance of a two goal lead. With the clock ticking down Thomas Funnell was unlucky to see his speculative long-range shot palmed over the cross-bar by the Comberton keeper.

Chesterton Eagles 0

Haddenham Rovers Colts 1

COLTS strengthened their League A position with a hard fought victory against a well organised Chesterton side.

After a tense start, Rovers changed their setup and began to take control of the match, eventually scoring the game's only goal on 18 minutes when Matthew Wright rattled home a freekick from 22 yards. Josh Lowe then forced a superb save from the Eagles keeper after 24 minutes and narrowly missed the target with a rising shot from the edge of the box.

The second half was again a close contest with Josh Akinwumi and Ollie Johnson coming close to adding a Rovers second while Chesterton looked dangerous on the break but were unable to breach a resolute Rovers defence. Haddenham's Charlie Tunnell hit a rasping volley just wide of the post late on but the goal proved enough to give them a well deserved three points.

Under 14s

Littleport Town 4

Burwell Tigers 0

PORT put a disappointing league season behind them to to record a comfortable win against Burwell in the Paul Luckings Memorial Trophy Final.

Port took the lead when Tom Wakefield headed home from a corner. Port doubled their lead before half time when James Beary raced through and cooly beat the keeper. Port dominated the opening half playing by far their best football of the season and creating a number of good openings.

The second half was much different with Burwell dominating territorially as Port tired on a very big pitch having not played a league game since March. The Port defence however held firm however restricting Burwell to a couple of half chances only while Lindon Collen sat just in front of the defence playing his best game of the year. With less that ten minutes left Port wrapped up the game when Beary ran on to a through ball and clipped past the on rushing keeper, Joe Murfitt put the icing on the cake with a fourth at the end

Roll of honour

Jake Allsop (Haddenham)

Jack Jenkins (Littleport)

Mitchell Drewitt (Littleport)

James Beary (Littleport)