Colts Football Roundup: Week Ending March 12

ALL the action from across Colts Football Under 13s Witchford 3 Haverhill 2 AN evenly matched opening moved up a gear when Harriers went ahead. Tommy Corlito and Nat Saeng Arun saw their shots go wide and Jamie and Connor Meads also tried to pull things

ALL the action from across Colts Football

Under 13s

Witchford 3

Haverhill 2

AN evenly matched opening moved up a gear when Harriers went ahead.

Tommy Corlito and Nat Saeng Arun saw their shots go wide and Jamie and Connor Meads also tried to pull things back but despite their efforts Haverhill managed to slot home a second.

Most Read

Witchford pulled a goal back shortly after through Connor Meads who slotted home from a corner. After half-time, Witchford stepped up a gear and Corlito restored parity when his pass deceived the goalkeeper and flew straight in.

Hugh Lawrence was steadfast in defence stopping any Haverhill break that came near. From another corner, Nat Saeng Arun jumped to head home and moved Witchford into the lead.

Haverhill came close to equalising late on but some good work from Eddie Bowles ensured Witchford remained in front. Witchford will meet Whittlesford in the final on April 18 at Cambridge Stadium.

Under 9s

Mepal Sports 3

Stretham Sporting 0

MEPAL started strongly with the first goal going to Ben Harnwell in the first few minutes.

The Stretham team came back strongly but were unable to get through the strong defence of Ben Topping and Max Turner. A powerful and accurate shot from Elliot Martin gave Mepal their second goal.

The teams were evenly matched during the next half with play going end to end. Good defending from Josh Booy-Howlett and Ralph Lawrence thwarted the Stretham strikers at every turn. During the last few minutes of the final quarter Tom Goodjohn displayed his abilities by foxing the oppositions defence and scoring to make Mepal the winners at 3-0.

Littleport 7

Waterbeach 0

PORT extended their winning streak to 13 thanks to a brillant display at Waterbeach.

Port striker Ellis Yearn helped himself to four goals with the fourth the pick of the bunch following a great passing move and fierce shot.

New signing Josh scored from the spot on his debut to make it five with flying winger Jay Coombs scored from a well worked corner. Mitchell Drewitt rounded off the win with a fine finish. James Timbers and Connor Moore and George Marsh helped ensure Littleport kept a clean sheet.

Under 11s

Ely Crusaders 12

Stretham Hotspurs 0

ELY went on the attack straight from the kick-off but a combination of good goalkeeping, a little luck and some wayward finishing kept the scores level.

Ely finally broke the deadlock as Jordan Marston stroked home from close range. Anthony Riches soon increased the lead and a goal a-piece for James Barrett and Lewis Hook saw Ely to a four goal half-time advantage.

Crusaders' dominance continued into the second period with Sam Felton and Thomas Funnell registered one each, Hook added his second of the game but it was Riches who made the most of his teams attacking prowess as he netted four times to complete a five goal haul. Crusaders final score came when Jay Spittles provided the emphatic finish Sam Felton's fine run and cross deserved.

Under 12s

Isleham 4

Witchford 0

WITCHFORD put in a strong first-half performance against the lead leaders with Matthew Loades heading onto the bar and other chances going awry.

The defence and midfield worked hard and frustrated the home team's attack. However, just on half-time Isleham bundled the ball home for the lead. Despite starting the second half strongly Witchford went further behind when a cross dropped into the corner of the goal. Some good individual performances couldn't stop Isleham adding a further two with no reply.

Newmarket Town 4

Littleport Town 4

PORT struggled to settle and found themselves picking the ball out of the net three times before they found a breakthrough with Alfie Oakman netting.

Newmarket scored again making it 4-1 before Littleport began to command the game with Matt Lucas and Tyler Hines breaking up Newmarket's attack with some excellent defending. Keane Whittaker scored the next two, the second of which was a thunderbolt that gave the keeper little chance, finishing the half 4-3.

Littleport were far the better team in the second half with Bailey Yearn hitting a long ball upfield for Whittaker to score a third and complete his hattrick.

Under 13

Staploe & Duloe 8

Isleham United 0

STAPLOE attacked from the start and took the lead in the opening minute. Isleham struggled to make any impact on the game and found themselves five goals down at the break.

Isleham looked sharper in the second half. Ben Stucky and Jamie Eavis linked well and both had good attempts on goal. Isleham battled hard, but the hosts broke through to net their sixth. Connor Smacchi came close following a well taken corner by Thomas Griffin. Despite Isleham's best efforts the home side scored two more. Shay Sillitoe tried to grab a consolation goal, but was denied by the keeper.

Under 17s

Soham Town 2

Isleham Youth 0

A GOOD forward move from the home side saw Josh Nunn bring the ball down in the box and tee-up Liam Bishop to hand Soham the lead.

A red card for Isleham left them exposed and there were chances-a-plenty for Soham with both Whitwell and Drewery going close. A second red card for Isleham made their task an increasingly difficult one and Soham might have doubled the lead minutes later when Elliot Drewery rounded the keeper only to see his shot slip wide.

Town finally got their second when Liam Lewis nipped round the Isleham left back and laid the ball across the box for James Seymour to run in and smash in his 20th of the season.

Roll of honour

Anthony Riches (Ely)

Charlie Wills (Soham)

Keane Whittaker (Littleport)

James Barrett (Ely)

Nat Saeng Arun (Witchford)

Lewis Hook (Ely)

Ellis Yearn (Littleport)