Colts Football Roundup: Week Ending April 30

ALL the colts action from across the district Under 14s Parkfield Youth 2Haddenham Rovers 3PARKFIELD took the lead after good work down the right wing. Rovers responded immediately when Matt Morton cut out a goal kick, fed Ryan Bowles who cut infield a

ALL the colts action from across the district

Under 14s

Parkfield Youth 2

Haddenham Rovers 3

PARKFIELD took the lead after good work down the right wing.

Rovers responded immediately when Matt Morton cut out a goal kick, fed Ryan Bowles who cut infield and scored at the near post.

Most Read

Minutes before the break Parkfield regained the lead when their centre forward turned on the edge of the area and struck home.

The second half was again even until Ryan Roberts latched on to a through ball from Kieran Drummond and barged his way through before thundering the ball into the net. With three minutes remaining Charlie Russell released Josh Robinson who out muscled the home defence to score what turned out to be the winner.

Under 9s

Littleport 1

Newmarket 1

PORT and Newmarket fought out a tough draw with the visitors taking the lead through a deflection.

Littleport tried hard to get back on level terms but lacked the killer touch. With most of Port's front players struggling for form it was left to Finn Cater to rescue a draw with a great volley from a corner. Jay Coombs headed over with seconds to spare leaving Port frustrated.

Under 11s

Cambridge All Stars 0

Witchford Colts 6

DESPITE controlling possession, Witchford struggled to break down a stubborn and often fortunate All Stars side, before good work down the left found Callum Munden in the box to open the scoring.

When Jack Curtis got the second with some fine individual play it looked like the flood gates might open, but credit to All Stars who made it to half-time without conceding further. The second half continued in the same vein until a fine long range effort from Ben Lymer found the top corner to make it 3-0. Jack Curtis grabbed his second with a close range tap in, before Callum Munden completed his hat-trick.

Ely Crusaders 5

Isleham United 1

THE home team took the lead when Lewis Hook's angled shot squeezed under the Isleham keeper.

To their credit, Isleham responded almost immediately, despite the best effort of Crusaders' keeper George Leech who saved well from the initial strike. With both teams now matching each other it was a sublime piece of individual flair which saw Crusaders re-take the lead as Hook's first time control and expertly measured volley punished a wayward goal-kick.

Crusaders finished the half strongly and Harrison Jones put Ely two ahead as he calmly shot home from close range.

A much improved performance saw Crusaders dominate the second period for long stretches as they began to move the ball around with much more pace and precision. Hook claimed his hat-trick when, after cutting in from the left hand-side, he skilfully deceived the goalkeeper to fire home. Ely's final goal proved to be a perfect example of their passing ability as Sam Felton drove out of the midfield and his pass found Jordan Marston on the left wing, his precise cross was then clinically dispatched by James Barrett's right boot to provide the perfect finish to a sweeping passage of play.

Under 12s

Witchford 7

Aztecs 1

WITCHFORD got off to yet another slow start and an early below par performance saw Aztecs took the lead.

Chances for Witchford went begging, with Matthew Loades having two headers cleared off the line. Finally Charlie O'Connor secured a deserved equaliser after some persistent play.

The second half was a different story as Witchford moved up several gears with their best performance of the season, leaving their opponents struggling to cope. Oliver Jarrett secured the lead and doubles from Louis Green and Matthew Loades finished good moves. The win was secured with Matt Ashman finishing some superb team play with a lob over the keeper.

Under 13s

Gamlingay 1

Isleham United 2

THE match started at a fast pace and both teams came close before Gamlingay opened the scoring on nine minutes.

Callum Wilkinson was lively at the front and Kieran Fitchett and Jonno Threadgold worked well in midfield as Isleham gradually gained more control.

Soon after the break Rosss Grant-Royall grabbed the equaliser and then two fine stops from Jamie Eavis kept it level. Shay Sillitoe pushed forward, but was denied by the home keeper before Sean Ward came close from a Connor Brand corner. Isleham looked stronger and the back line of Connor Smacchi, Liam Markwell, Ethan Coulson and Sean Ward stood firm. With six minutes remaining Ross Grant-Royall fired home to complete his brace and to secure the points.

Spartak 78 3

Witchford Colts 6

GOING three goals down it looked as though Colts were suffering from a cup hangover but just before half time Adam Reddit saw his shot hit the back of the net.

After the break Witchford seemed to have fire in their bellies and fought hard and played some excellent football. The comeback continued and with two further goals by Reddit giving him his hat trick and also another three by Tommy Corlito.

Under 14s

Witchford 2

Streatham 1

WITCHFORD secured an excellent win over their local rivals.

First half goals from Michael Dye and a clever header from James Edwards gave the home team a 2-1 lead at half time. Streatham fought hard for the equaliser in the second half but the Witchford defence were in no mood to give up their lead and despite a couple of scares coped well with everything that was thrown at them. Witchford man of the match was Roly Dickinson for a hard working performance as the loan striker.