College Student Wins Bronze In Judo Tournament
VAL Agafonov – a year 11 student at the City of Ely Community College – fought his way to a bronze medal in the prestigious Heart of England Judo tournament. He was fighting in the over 90kg category at under-16 level, but at 92kg was the lightest competi
VAL Agafonov - a year 11 student at the City of Ely Community College - fought his way to a bronze medal in the prestigious Heart of England Judo tournament.
He was fighting in the over 90kg category at under-16 level, but at 92kg was the lightest competitor in that category.
His first opponent weighed 185kg, and Val made a mistake with his ground technique which allowed his opponent to pin him down for 25 seconds to win.
He recovered from this setback, however, and won his next fight comfortably to claim the bronze at his first competition of the year, and 400 points towards possible selection for the 2008/2009 England squad.
You may also want to watch:
Val is now looking forward to competing in the British Championships - another indication event for the England squad - in a month's time.
- 1 Our archives reveal the 'crackpot' idea to re-open disused rail lines
- 2 HGV crashes into car damaged in earlier incident
- 3 Caravan wedged under Fens rail bridge
- 4 Rowdy passengers force train cancellation
- 5 See photos of the intricate final stages of the Huntingdon Viaduct removal
- 6 Daughter sets fire to father's bedroom after food outrage
- 7 Drunk driver failed to spot police car parked next to her
- 8 Have your say on plans to improve city rail station
- 9 7 questions that could decide if you truly are from the Fens
- 10 Police buy clothes for Iranian children rescued from lorry