Cold Snap Continues To Take Its Toll
THE cold snap has continued to take its toll on the region s sporting calendar as sub-zero temperatures and frozen pitches made play impossible at the weekend. Though a brief lull in the snow at the beginning of January allowed for some fixtures to go ahe
THE cold snap has continued to take its toll on the region's sporting calendar as sub-zero temperatures and frozen pitches made play impossible at the weekend.
Though a brief lull in the snow at the beginning of January allowed for some fixtures to go ahead as planned, fresh deluges of snow during last week saw cancellations for a host of the region's teams as playing surfaces became unplayable.
The Ely Tigers' match against HAC was postponed on Friday morning after a brief pitch inspection. Disappointed skipper Mark Mitzman, told the Ely Standard: "We were disappointed to call it off but the pitch is frozen solid and unplayable at the moment.
"We haven't played now for around four weeks so all the guys are working hard in the gym and are really raring to go. Hopefully we can get a win under out belts early on and we can kick on from there."
You may also want to watch:
Elsewhere, Soham Town Rangers' game at Atherstone United was called off on Friday afternoon due to a frozen pitch. Ely City meanwhile, were without a fixture as all Ridgeon's League matches were postponed early in the week.
The City of Ely Ladies Hockey Team was also left disappointed on Saturday as their trip to Haverhill was postponed.
- 1 Rowdy passengers force train cancellation
- 2 Sparkling sake brewery launches in Ely
- 3 7 questions that could decide if you truly are from the Fens
- 4 Man to appear in court after smashing police car window with sledgehammer
- 5 Shocks all round as police pull over 'white van man'
- 6 Man in court over special constable assault and theft of alcohol
- 7 Transport company donates advertising to children’s brain tumour charity
- 8 Man, 20, rapes woman as she slept, court told
- 9 Gym’s ‘money for miles’ Children in Need fundraiser
- 10 Fire destroys family bungalow in the Fens