Clubs set for triathlon test
ELY is to host its first Triathlon Relay at the end of the summer holidays, with competitors from three local clubs taking part. The City of Ely Swimming Club, Ely Cycling Club and Ely Runners will all be competing in 20 teams of three in the event which
ELY is to host its first Triathlon Relay at the end of the summer holidays, with competitors from three local clubs taking part.
The City of Ely Swimming Club, Ely Cycling Club and Ely Runners will all be competing in 20 teams of three in the event which is to be held at the King's School.
A 400m swim will be followed by a 20km cycle through the surrounding countryside and the race will be concluded with a 5km run around the King's School grounds.
Local school children are also being invited to join in the fun, by entering a mini Aquathlon to be held at the same time.
This will involve a swim of 100m (four lengths) followed by an 800m run around the King's School playing field. Children aged from eight to 16 will be competing for medals, and can enter for free via the website www.elytriathlon. co.uk
Event organiser Alison O'Connor, said: "What started out as a way to encourage Ely residents to join one of our three local clubs looks set to become a huge annual event and a great day out for everyone. I'm sure it will be well worth coming along to join in the excitement and cheer on our local amateur athletes."
- 1 EastEnders star Adam Woodyatt ‘to work at restaurant in Cambridgeshire’
- 2 Mike Rouse, councillor, former mayor and historian, dies aged 82
- 3 Inferno BBQ to be occupied by sister company Forbidden Burger Co
- 4 'A little talent very thinly spread' Mike Rouse, in his own words
- 5 Mike Rouse: A lifetime's passion for books and literature
- 6 Table made from 5,000-year-old oak tree to be unveiled at Ely Cathedral in honour of The Queen
- 7 Superintendent dons rainbow helmet against hate crime on #IDAHOBIT
- 8 Middlesbrough couple found in Cambs with drugs worth around £37,000
- 9 Cambridge: Police officer had surgery after sex offender drove car at them
- 10 See inside this £1.7m country house with its own lake near Ely
There will be lots to see and do on the day, including a barbecue, refreshments from Starbucks, an ice cream van, a climbing wall and bouncy castle. Q103's Black Thunder will provide music and commentary to keep everyone informed of the competitors' progress. Members of the three clubs will also be on hand to explain more about their activities and to sign people up.
Local businesses have been adding their support by sponsoring the event. Life Fitness and the Paradise Centre are sponsoring the Aquathlon, and all children entering this event will receive a free pen, while Specsavers have sponsored all the trophies and medals.
The Triathlon Relay is to take place on Sunday, September 3 at the King's Junior School, Barton Road, Ely, between 11am and 1pm. Anyone wishing to take part in the Aquathlon should sign up on the website soon, as places may be limited.
GETTING READY FOR ACTION: Ely Triathletes in training for the big day. Pictured from left to right are: John Turner, Stuart Mitchell, Kev Fox, Natalie Coles, Stephen Howard, Peter Harris, Alison O’Connor, Julie Foreman and Adam Etches
Photo: IAN RAY