Club’s skate expectations
ELY skaters warmed up for the weekend s Annual Skating Gala by winning eight medals. Members of Ely Artistic Roller Skating Club competed in the FARS Championship at the St Ivo Centre, St Ives. It was a hugely successful event for the club with Fiona Cox
ELY skaters warmed up for the weekend's Annual Skating Gala by winning eight medals.
Members of Ely Artistic Roller Skating Club competed in the FARS Championship at the St Ivo Centre, St Ives.
It was a hugely successful event for the club with Fiona Cox winning gold in both the Ladies Inter-Silver Figures and Youth Championship Figures.
Michelle Housden took the gold in the Ladies Silver Figures and silver medals were won by Rachel Housden, in the Ladies Inter-Silver Free Skating, and Youth Championship Figures and Fiona Cox in the Youth Combined.
Bronze medals were won by Rachel Housden in the Youth Free Skating Championship and for Youth Combined.
Charlotte Allen and Helen Gray came fourth in their respective categories; fifth places were achieved by Fiona Cox, Ellis Hennebry and Nancy Allen, who also came sixth in the Youth Championship Figures and eighth in the Youth Free Skating.
- 1 Table made from 5,000-year-old oak tree to be unveiled at Ely Cathedral in honour of The Queen
- 2 Princess Anne unveils new 'national treasure' Jubilee table in Ely
- 3 Villagers can be proud says school head as Ofsted gives thumbs up
- 4 Met Office weather: Yellow storm and flood warning for East of England
- 5 See inside this Grade II listed former pub with self-contained annexe
- 6 Three brass instruments worth £20k stolen from church
- 7 Table made from 5,000-year-old oak tree arrives at Ely Cathedral
- 8 Hand clinic offering additional type of treatment for arthritis sufferers
- 9 'Energy and hope' on the agenda for new Ely mayor
- 10 Family pay tribute to brothers, 13 and 17, killed in horror BMW crash
Richard Culpin came sixth and Wanda Handley seventh in the Classic Solo Dance and Chloe Thompson finished 10th and Emma Taylor 11th in the Cadet Solo Dance.
Ely coach Brian Paddington said: "It was a very pleasing performance overall. I expected some of our skaters to do well because they have been training hard and gaining valuable experience. The club is growing all the time and skating is proving to be really popular in Ely."
About 200 skaters will compete in the Annual Skating Gala at The Ross Peers Sports Centre, Soham, on Saturday and Sunday, starting at 8am on both days.