Club riders simply the bests!
PERSONAL bests were the order of the day at Ely Cycling Club s time trial on the 10-mile Witchford to Sutton course. Veteran regular Eddie Green produced a fine ride to clock an impressive 28:34 in trying conditions. Last season s young sensation, Harve
PERSONAL bests were the order of the day at Ely Cycling Club's time trial on the 10-mile Witchford to Sutton course.
Veteran regular Eddie Green produced a fine ride to clock an impressive 28:34 in trying conditions.
Last season's young sensation, Harvey Leadbeater, was competing in his first Ely event of the year and he returned in style, charging to a time of 28:40 - his best showing to date.
Ray Jolly continued to show impressive form to cross the line in 30:02.
You may also want to watch:
Another returning rider, Andrew Gilbert, showed what he was made of with a storming effort of 29:58 and Ely regular Tom Sykes recorded a personal best for the course with a superb 23:41.
Steve Presland, Andy Bright and Jason Nixon again turned in some fine performances and well matched times.
- 1 Crews tackle huge Fens blaze
- 2 Woman has heart attack and dies in ambulance waiting for a hospital bed
- 3 'I think I hurt him bad mum' says Murder on the Doorstep killer
- 4 £330,000 fraudster burning evidence as police raid his home
- 5 Crash driver flees leaving female passenger injured
- 6 Fundraiser for mum with terminal cancer to 'have a good Christmas with her family'
- 7 ‘I’m Lovin It’ burglars caught by McDonald's trip
- 8 Stanley, 95, publishes first book to beat lockdown blues
- 9 Golf club's £8,850 donation for dementia singing charity All In Sound
- 10 Residents asked to share ideas on how improve cycling and walking in East Cambs town
The fastest time overall went to the husband and wife team of Colin and Celia Whitechurch, who combined to power their tandem to a time of 23:39.
Sharon Dunkley admitted that the going was tough but produced a gritty and determined performance to set a time of 35:24.
Other riders giving excellent accounts of themselves included Mark Huggins, Ray Legg, Andrew Gilbert, Brian Cooper and Roy Benstead.
The Tuesday evening time trials have finished. The next club event will be the open 10-mile time trial on Saturday, August 25 (2pm).
The event is open to club members only.
For more information about the club, visit the website at www.elycyclingclub.com or call Marc Cox on 01223 263862.
Results - 10-mile solo: 1 Tom Sykes 23:41, 2 Steve Presland 23:55, 3 Andy Bright 24:01, 4 Jason Nixon 24:09, 5 Marc Cox 24:31, 6 Steve Lightfoot 24:42, 7 George Webb 25:34, 8 James Robson 26:06, 9 John Jermy 27:24, 10 Derek Bailey 27:27, 11 Nigel Leadbeater 28:01, 12 Eddie Green 28:34, 13 Harvey Leadbeater 28:40, 14 Ray Legg 29:36, 15 Andrew Gilbert 29:58, 16 Ray Jolly 30:02, 17 Mark Huggins 30:26, 18 Sharon Dunkley 35:24. Tandem: 1 Colin and Celia Whitechurch 23:39.