Clean sweep as teams get off to a flier
NET GAINS: Ely Tennis Club s ladies , men s and mixed teams have an unbeaten record after the first week of the season. Ely Ladies enjoyed a 6-2 victory over Newmarket II in their second year in LTA Division Two. First pair Mary Finney and Honor Porter
NET GAINS: Ely Tennis Club's ladies', men's and mixed teams have an unbeaten record after the first week of the season.
Ely Ladies enjoyed a 6-2 victory over Newmarket II in their second year in LTA Division Two.
First pair Mary Finney and Honor Porter and second pair Karen Goodman and Vivienne Teckoe both dropped one set against Newmarket's second pair.
Meanwhile, Ely Ladies' II got off to a flying start in LTA Division Five after their promotion last year. The pairings were Jane Chalk and Aileen Seabrook, Sandra Ashcroft and Dawn Butterfield and the team also enjoyed a 6-2 win against Risbygate III.
In the men's competition, Ely came through a tight match to beat Peterborough City 5-3 in their first match after promotion to LTA Division Four. First pair Jason Morley and Peter Stephens dropped only one set but second pair Geoff Powell and Jason Teckoe fought hard, finishing in the dark, to secure two draws which meant the Ely team came out on top.
Meanwhile, in the Cambridgeshire Business Houses League, the Ely men's team enjoyed a resounding 8-0 win over Gamlingay.
- 1 Mexican restaurant to open inside former Frankie & Benny's in Ely
- 2 Village road closing for five weeks for temporary barrier installation
- 3 Soham tribute to 'honest, funny, intelligent and understanding human being'
- 4 'A little talent very thinly spread' Mike Rouse, in his own words
- 5 Inferno BBQ to be occupied by sister company Forbidden Burger Co
- 6 Breakup and burglary! Couple's chaos after £101m win on Euromillions
- 7 Mike Rouse, councillor, former mayor and historian, dies aged 82
- 8 Ex-soldier Rob on a mission to bring 'ideas and energy' to Ely
- 9 Students ‘over the moon’ to receive letter from The Queen during project
- 10 Mike Rouse: A lifetime's passion for books and literature
The victorious team was Trevor Gordon-Potts and Richard Playford, Geoff Powell and Kenn White.
Adults interested in joining Ely Tennis Club are invited to club sessions on Tuesdays (6.30-9pm) and Sundays (10am-noon).
Junior members can attend coaching sessions on Mondays and Thursdays after school. The club plays at three all-weather floodlit courts at the Ely Outdoor Sports Association, next to the rugby and hockey pitches and the On Par driving range. For further information, visit the courts during club sessions.