City Smash Five Past Ailing Harwich
ELY City piled on the woe for bottom-side Harwich and Parkeston as they ran out 5-0 winners on Saturday. In what was a crunch-game for both sides, it was Ely who came out on top as their rampant attack got the better of Harwich defence that has shipped so
ELY City piled on the woe for bottom-side Harwich and Parkeston as they ran out 5-0 winners on Saturday.
In what was a crunch-game for both sides, it was Ely who came out on top as their rampant attack got the better of Harwich defence that has shipped some 81 goals in 23 games this season.
The win moves the Robins up into 16th place in the Ridgeons Premier League, 19 points clear of the drop zone and just 11 points off a coveted play-off spot.
There was precious little room for mistakes from the Robins in a must win game against the league's bottom side, and the pressure was immediately lifted as Ely were gifted the lead after just nine minutes courtesy of an own-goal.
You may also want to watch:
Keen to press home their advantage, Denis Lightning's men stepped up a gear and fired two more goals before half-time to put the home side in the mire. Scott Fielding netted both goals.
After the break, Ely were content to allow Harwich to play in front of the defence and any hope of a comeback was time-and-again snuffed out by some alert Ely defending.
- 1 Illegal poachers stopped in their tracks by eagle-eyed public
- 2 Dramatic pictures catch harvester on fire in 4am blaze
- 3 Police pursuit of suspected hare coursers ends in success
- 4 Mosque trust named RIBA client of the year 2021
- 5 'Loving, caring family man' dies in hospital weeks after A141 crash
- 6 Meet the star cast of Christmas pantomime Sleeping Beauty
- 7 Police investigation after village pavilion covered in graffiti
- 8 Council expects to spend £2.4m less on older people due to 'Covid loss'
- 9 US jets to practice flypast over Suffolk this morning
- 10 Lisa Leader makes it to Germany for life prolonging treatment
A Robbie Mason strike after 52 minutes put the result beyond doubt and Dave Smith put the icing on the cake in the last minute of normal time to complete the rout.