City slickers bank another home success
Ely City 4 Bury St Edmunds II 2 ELY continued their excellent home form by beating Bury St Edmunds on Saturday, to leave them unbeaten at home since Christmas, winning all but one game. Ely dominated from the start, playing some excellent hockey and carvi
Ely City 4 Bury St Edmunds II 2
ELY continued their excellent home form by beating Bury St Edmunds on Saturday, to leave them unbeaten at home since Christmas, winning all but one game.
Ely dominated from the start, playing some excellent hockey and carving the Bury team apart. The visitors defended well, managing to frustrate Ely as they searched for the opening goal.
The home side continued to dominate and just as they were becoming edgy, Chris Roberts's turn and shot stuck the keeper but it bobbled over the line, finishing a good move after Julian Palmer had crossed from the byline for the opening.
Grant Gilmour scored the second soon after, man of the match Nick Wells carved out the opening as Gilmour smashed in the shot from close range. Bury scored their first after a mistake from the Ely defence, a Bury striker knocking the ball in from close range.
Ely restored their two-goal advantage soon afterwards when Hugo was the first to react after his shot was saved, turning the ball into the net.
- 1 21st century agreement on future of 17th century pub
- 2 ‘It’s sadly coming to a natural end’ - restaurant to close its doors by August
- 3 Littleport 'hit and run' on Victoria Street
- 4 Village barn struck by arsonists in 4am blaze
- 5 Pedestrian struck on Ely Road in Littleport
- 6 Florist 'busier than ever' hoping to build from lockdown success
- 7 Arsonist firebombed GP surgery after doctors refused to give him heroin
- 8 Former Baptist chapel to be turned into four-bedroom house
- 9 Council bans use of agricultural land to extend garden
- 10 Councillor hits out at 'huge intransigence' over splash pad project
Despite their pressure, Ely were only able to add one more goal in the second half. Following a strong run by Wells into the area, his shot, although rather weak, beat the keeper for his first goal this year. Bury scored a second consolation goal at the end.
Wisbech Town III 3 Ely City II 1
ELY City II were unlucky to lose this one, having dominated from the start, put were unable to put away the goals. Paul Smith scored the Ely goal while Alex Spence, Pete Rains and Mark Hunt all went close.
Ely City IV 0 St Ives V 1
THIS game was a real testament to the commitment and hard work of the whole Ely team, but especially the younger members. In fact, St Ives scored with their only real attack of the game. Man of the match was Michael Dawe.
n Anyone interested in playing hockey, please call Paul Massey on 01353 749144.