City of Ely Swimming Club Pick Up The Honours At the Newmarket Invitation
SWIMMING CITY of Ely Swimming Club, The Barracudas, has won the Newmarket invitation Rose Seeley Trophy Gala for the second year running. The Ely Barracudas beat the hosts Newmarket and other invited teams from Saffron Walden and Mildenhall. The team ach
CITY of Ely Swimming Club, The Barracudas, has won the Newmarket invitation Rose Seeley Trophy Gala for the second year running.
The Ely Barracudas beat the hosts Newmarket and other invited teams from Saffron Walden and Mildenhall. The team achieved 19 personal best times and a new club record was awarded to 12 year-old Katie Stearn who swum the 50m freestyle in 33.37secs. Richard Isaacs, team manager, said: "I'm really proud of the team - they worked wonderfully together, and showed great team spirit and produced some outstanding individual performances."
The gala result again went to the wire with the final race determining the outcome. The cannon relay involves eight swimmers from each team - Ely took first place which gave the team the overall gala win.
Coach Elaine Hill said: "These younger club members have been justly rewarded for all their hard work - we had several swimmers taking part in the county finals this weekend and for the team to win shows the club can now draw on lots of talented swimmers throughout the age groups."
- 1 21st century agreement on future of 17th century pub
- 2 ‘It’s sadly coming to a natural end’ - restaurant to close its doors by August
- 3 Littleport 'hit and run' on Victoria Street
- 4 Village barn struck by arsonists in 4am blaze
- 5 Pedestrian struck on Ely Road in Littleport
- 6 Florist 'busier than ever' hoping to build from lockdown success
- 7 Arsonist firebombed GP surgery after doctors refused to give him heroin
- 8 Former Baptist chapel to be turned into four-bedroom house
- 9 Council bans use of agricultural land to extend garden
- 10 Councillor hits out at 'huge intransigence' over splash pad project
Pic cap: Triumphant members of the City of Ely Swimming Club after they won the Rose Seeley Trophy Gala in Newmarket.