City of Ely set up semi-final clash with rivals Cumbria
- Credit: Archant
Bowls The City of Ely Bowls Club’s Denny Cup team booked their place in the semi-final of the competition after easing to an 83-49 victory over Exonia, on Saturday.
Ely’s quarter-final clash against their Devonshire opponents was expected to be a tight affair but turned out to be a comfortable win for City, as they opened up a sizeable advantage.
Ely earned their place in the quarter-finals thanks to wins over Avon Valley in round four (80-33) and Ipswich in round five (74-70).
Cumbria await Ely in the semi-final, with the tie scheduled to take place on April 18, in Darlington.
Ely bowler Matt Marsden tweeted: “Delighted that Ely through to the Denny semi against our old mates Cumbria.”
You may also want to watch:
Torquay take on Folkeston in the second semi-final, with the final scheduled to take place on the same day.
But there was disappointment elsewhere for Ely on Sunday as their under-strength Egham Trophy team was dumped out at the quarter-final stage, losing 73-62 to Desborough.
- 1 Illegal poachers stopped in their tracks by eagle-eyed public
- 2 Dramatic pictures catch harvester on fire in 4am blaze
- 3 Police pursuit of suspected hare coursers ends in success
- 4 Mosque trust named RIBA client of the year 2021
- 5 'Loving, caring family man' dies in hospital weeks after A141 crash
- 6 Police investigation after village pavilion covered in graffiti
- 7 8 of the best shows coming to Cambridgeshire in November
- 8 Meet the star cast of Christmas pantomime Sleeping Beauty
- 9 Lisa Leader makes it to Germany for life prolonging treatment
- 10 Fireworks join Christmas lights on the Covid cancelled list for Ely