City of Ely’s Greg Harlow scoops third Champion of Champions title
- Credit: Archant
City of Ely’s Greg Harlow put the disappointment of his quarter-final exit from the World Championships behind him by joining England team mate Nicky Brett as the only three times holder of the English Champion of Champions crown.
The Ely man beat Bodmin’s Paul Bennett in the finals held at Warner Leisure Hotels Lakeside Coastal Village, Hayling Island, to claim his third Champion of Champions title.
Harlow made a statement of intent in dispatching Chigwells Tim Mould 21-5 in the first round, and then John Baird from Eden IBC in the quarter-final.
Greg’s win set up a semi-final against ex-International Keith Renwick, who returned from a 20-year break from the sport.
But after keeping in touch at just 7-9 down after nine ends, Renwick could not match Harlow’s range of drawing and running bowls, and the Ely man raced away to win 21-10.
You may also want to watch:
Bodmin’s Paul Bennett, also a previous Champion of Champions winner, proved a real handful in the final and a surprise looked on the cards when he moved into a 15-12 lead, but an amazing conversion bowl gave Harlow a three to level at 15-15 and his relentless accuracy saw him take the title 21-15.
- 1 Christmas lights switch-on event cancelled over 'Covid uncertainty'
- 2 Body found in Wisbech road
- 3 Florist's 'service with a smile' marks first year of triumph
- 4 Lucky escape for driver who 'lost control' of car
- 5 Independent shop full of fresh food – despite national shortage
- 6 Lack of public transport blamed for collapse of £10.5m training centre
- 7 Travellers move onto sports field forcing football to be cancelled
- 8 Crash driver four and a half times over drink drive limit
- 9 Military teenager to star on national podcast
- 10 Did you bite your husband's leg? ‘No, he knocked all my teeth out- I could not bite his leg’