City of Ely’s Greg Harlow scoops third Champion of Champions title
- Credit: Archant
City of Ely’s Greg Harlow put the disappointment of his quarter-final exit from the World Championships behind him by joining England team mate Nicky Brett as the only three times holder of the English Champion of Champions crown.
The Ely man beat Bodmin’s Paul Bennett in the finals held at Warner Leisure Hotels Lakeside Coastal Village, Hayling Island, to claim his third Champion of Champions title.
Harlow made a statement of intent in dispatching Chigwells Tim Mould 21-5 in the first round, and then John Baird from Eden IBC in the quarter-final.
Greg’s win set up a semi-final against ex-International Keith Renwick, who returned from a 20-year break from the sport.
But after keeping in touch at just 7-9 down after nine ends, Renwick could not match Harlow’s range of drawing and running bowls, and the Ely man raced away to win 21-10.
You may also want to watch:
Bodmin’s Paul Bennett, also a previous Champion of Champions winner, proved a real handful in the final and a surprise looked on the cards when he moved into a 15-12 lead, but an amazing conversion bowl gave Harlow a three to level at 15-15 and his relentless accuracy saw him take the title 21-15.
- 1 Alternative banking available as local branch closes
- 2 AN APOLOGY: The Gables in Chatteris
- 3 300 take part in autonomous shuttle passenger trial
- 4 A10 speed limit reduced at Waterbeach after death of baby Louis Thorold
- 5 Eagle-eyed plane spotter saves pilot's life
- 6 Person dies after being struck by train in Cambridge
- 7 Historic hotel opens doors after lockdown transformation
- 8 9 never to be forgotten moments from Cambridgeshire politicians
- 9 Not breaking news: Vicar has lucky escape, station closes and hotel sold
- 10 Open air theatre is back in Ely this weekend