City of Ely lift the Katie Colson Cup after inaugural tribute netball tournament
CITY of Ely were crowned the inaugural winners of the Katie Colson Cup, beating MI7 18-14.
Katie, a keen netballer, died after being hit by a car while out jogging in October 2010. The inaugural final of the Cup was held last Saturday.
City made a positive start and were keen to mark their first season with a trophy.
MI7 did not make progress easy however, and superb shooting kept the two teams closely matched.
In the end, Ely triumphed, coming through narrow 18-14 winners.
The trophy was awarded by Janette Hatton, chair of the Cambridge and District Netball League.
She said: “Burwell Netball Club are very happy with the success of the Katie Colson mid-week league and feel it expresses Katie’s enthusiasm for the game perfectly”.
- 1 21st century agreement on future of 17th century pub
- 2 ‘It’s sadly coming to a natural end’ - restaurant to close its doors by August
- 3 Littleport 'hit and run' on Victoria Street
- 4 Village barn struck by arsonists in 4am blaze
- 5 Pedestrian struck on Ely Road in Littleport
- 6 Florist 'busier than ever' hoping to build from lockdown success
- 7 Arsonist firebombed GP surgery after doctors refused to give him heroin
- 8 Former Baptist chapel to be turned into four-bedroom house
- 9 Council bans use of agricultural land to extend garden
- 10 Councillor hits out at 'huge intransigence' over splash pad project
City of Ely Netball Club is offering taster sessions on Thursday, May 31 and Thursday, June 7 for women aged 16 and over.
E-mail email@example.com to book your place or for more information, including plans for a junior section, visit: www.cityofelynetballclub.btck.uk