City of Ely Cricket Club looking for players to carry on proud 159 year-old tradition as it prepares for open day
- Credit: Archant
City of Ely cricket club is preparing to welcome the local community on Saturday from 1.30pm as part of a nationwide initiative to help boost grassroots cricket participation.
The club is inviting all local cricket fans and people who are interested in finding out more about the club, to head along to the Paradise Ground (Newham St, CB7 4PQ) for the day to watch a game, get involved in a range of taster sessions and enjoy some tea and cake, courtesy of Waitrose.
Daniel Ingram, club spokesman, said: “The club has been playing cricket at the Paradise ground since 1856. Help us to continue the tradition. Whether you want to play, help out, or just watch, you will be made very welcome.
“We run two adult league teams on Saturday, another one on Sunday, a midweek league team, and plan to start a ladies team before the start of next season. We also run teams at Under 11, Under 13, and Under 15, and cater for juniors in Year 4 and above.
“Our club is one of only a few in the region with Clubmark accreditation, which means that we have been assessed as being a safe, effective, child friendly sports club.”
You may also want to watch:
For more information about City of Ely CC’s Club Open Day and details of how to join the club contact Daniel on 07805 872375, e-mail email@example.com or visit http://cityofely.play-cricket.com/
- 1 Rowdy passengers force train cancellation
- 2 Daughter sets fire to father's bedroom after food outrage
- 3 Sparkling sake brewery launches in Ely
- 4 Man, 20, rapes woman as she slept, court told
- 5 Police buy clothes for Iranian children rescued from lorry
- 6 Woman delighted to finally be a mum after infertility heartache
- 7 Child rapist from St Ives has been jailed after abuse
- 8 Have your say on plans to improve city rail station
- 9 Teen rape case prompts city market safety review
- 10 St Neots murder to feature in 24 Hours in Police Custody