City left deflated by Town
RIDGEONS LEAGUE CUP QUARTER-FINAL Lowestoft Town 4 Ely City 0 A DISJOINTED Ely side were denied a place in the semi-final by last season s Premier Division champions. City made the long trip to Crown Meadow on Tuesday night with key players Andy Chatters,
RIDGEONS LEAGUE CUP QUARTER-FINAL
Lowestoft Town 4
Ely City 0
A DISJOINTED Ely side were denied a place in the semi-final by last season's Premier Division champions.
City made the long trip to Crown Meadow on Tuesday night with key players Andy Chatters, Nick Impey, Tom Beech, Tony Brown and James Reeves all unavailable, and with players playing out of position, they never looked comfortable in the first half.
Ely boss Dennis Lightning said: "We were lucky to be 2-0 down at half-time and I told the lads to go out and play the second half like they had nothing to lose."
- 1 Woman summonsed in connection with crash that killed five-month-old Louis Thorold
- 2 Community group ‘hoping for success’ with opening of new cinema
- 3 He strangled Rikki, stripped him and left his body flat on his back, Old Bailey told
- 4 'Fantastic, loving, cheeky' 19-year-old killed in motorbike crash
- 5 Four doctors and a nurse off sick with Covid-19 at Fenland surgeries
- 6 Academy shake-up as one principal goes and another arrives
- 7 No balloons plea to death crash motorcycle tribute convoy
- 8 Progress on introducing new 20mph speed limits to be discussed
- 9 Baby murder accused 'didn't say much' after life support withdrawn
- 10 Mara is Ely Standard Pet of the Year - voted for by you
Yet the hosts were 3-0 up within five minutes of the re-start and the scoring was completed just before the hour mark.
Lightning said: "If we had a full strength side we would have given them a game, but to be honest we've done well to get to that stage of the competition. Now we have to regroup and concentrate on the league."
n Ely are at home to Downham Town on Saturday and away to Godmanchester on Wednesday.