Champions make light work of season closer
ELY went into the final game of the season against Bourne, with the luxury of knowing they had won division 4NW after a 3-0 win at Boston the previous week.
The first half was evenly balanced, with Ely having a fair amount of possession they were unable to turn into goals- Bourne threatened on several occasions on the counter attack but just before half time, Ely took the lead through Warren Dennis, scoring from close range.
The second half began with two quick goals from Ely from Marc Hunt and Neil Ashworth. Bourne then pulled one back from a short corner, but Ely were quick to respond, with another goal from Dennis. Bourne’s chances in the second half were very limited from then on, with Ely retaining possession well and playing a very fast paced passing game.
Xavin Taylor added to the goal count with two more goals, before Dennis added another two, the final one coming from a short corner at the end of the match,
The 8-1 win capped a successful season for Ely 2s which began very differently to how it ended. The first game of the season saw them beaten 6-1 at home by Peterborough 5s, but this was followed by a winning streak of 10 games. After the Christmas break, they faced Ely 3s who were looking for revenge for a defeat earlier in the season, and a 2-1 defeat for the second team meant the bragging rights went to the thirds.
You may also want to watch:
One more defeat to Cambridge South followed, but then the winning run began again leaving Ely to climb back to the top of the table, including an important win against promotion rivals Peterborough 6s.
- 1 Our archives reveal the 'crackpot' idea to re-open disused rail lines
- 2 HGV crashes into car damaged in earlier incident
- 3 Caravan wedged under Fens rail bridge
- 4 See photos of the intricate final stages of the Huntingdon Viaduct removal
- 5 Rowdy passengers force train cancellation
- 6 Daughter sets fire to father's bedroom after food outrage
- 7 Fundraiser for mum with terminal cancer to 'have a good Christmas with her family'
- 8 Drunk driver failed to spot police car parked next to her
- 9 Have your say on plans to improve city rail station
- 10 Police buy clothes for Iranian children rescued from lorry