Cathy hopes to cash in
A TEENAGE triathlete and swimmer from Wicken is hoping to attract support for her campaign to raise funds for Cambridge Joint Playschemes. Cathy Thomson, 17, is a teaching assistant at Granta Special School where, as part of the service offered by Cambrid
A TEENAGE triathlete and swimmer from Wicken is hoping to attract support for her campaign to raise funds for Cambridge Joint Playschemes.
Cathy Thomson, 17, is a teaching assistant at Granta Special School where, as part of the service offered by Cambridge Joint Playschemes, she helps to provide care for children and young adults with learning difficulties.
Next month, Cathy will be taking an active role in raising funds for the charity when she competes in the Lucozade Sport Hydro Active Women's Challenge.
The 5k run should prove to be no problem for Cathy but fund-raising will be her priority.
Cathy's mother Debbie said: "The playschemes have struggled to raise funds recently and they are important for many young people in the county.
"Without the playschemes some of the children would be very isolated. Cambridge Joint Playschemes is a little-known charity doing fantastic work and it needs all the support it can get.
- 1 21st century agreement on future of 17th century pub
- 2 ‘It’s sadly coming to a natural end’ - restaurant to close its doors by August
- 3 Village barn struck by arsonists in 4am blaze
- 4 ‘It’s been very rewarding’ - Letizia amazed by support for La Strega
- 5 New bid for housing thwarted by Great Crested Newts
- 6 Littleport 'hit and run' on Victoria Street
- 7 Florist 'busier than ever' hoping to build from lockdown success
- 8 Change of plan for A142 Mepal bridge works as July closures announced
- 9 Axing BBC TV news from Cambridge 'a backward step' says MP
- 10 Pedestrian struck on Ely Road in Littleport
"Cathy loves her work and she is extremely dedicated. These days we hear so many bad things about young people so it is great to hear of those who do good work for their community."
The Lucozade Sport Hydro Active Women's Challenge takes place in Hyde Park, London, on September 16.
Anyone wishing to support Cathy should call 01353 720988.