Cathy hopes to cash in
A TEENAGE triathlete and swimmer from Wicken is hoping to attract support for her campaign to raise funds for Cambridge Joint Playschemes. Cathy Thomson, 17, is a teaching assistant at Granta Special School where, as part of the service offered by Cambrid
A TEENAGE triathlete and swimmer from Wicken is hoping to attract support for her campaign to raise funds for Cambridge Joint Playschemes.
Cathy Thomson, 17, is a teaching assistant at Granta Special School where, as part of the service offered by Cambridge Joint Playschemes, she helps to provide care for children and young adults with learning difficulties.
Next month, Cathy will be taking an active role in raising funds for the charity when she competes in the Lucozade Sport Hydro Active Women's Challenge.
The 5k run should prove to be no problem for Cathy but fund-raising will be her priority.
You may also want to watch:
Cathy's mother Debbie said: "The playschemes have struggled to raise funds recently and they are important for many young people in the county.
"Without the playschemes some of the children would be very isolated. Cambridge Joint Playschemes is a little-known charity doing fantastic work and it needs all the support it can get.
- 1 Shocks all round as police pull over 'white van man'
- 2 Fire destroys family bungalow in the Fens
- 3 G's to help save Christmas for poultry industry
- 4 Triple judo Olympic champion to give masterclass for Ely Dojo
- 5 New Ely cinema, royal visit, Welney gets a hall and Thomas a new car
- 6 Seven men jailed for stealing bikes worth £70k
- 7 Motion calls for community housing review in four villages
- 8 New-look Crusaders show fighting spirit to earn comeback triumph
- 9 WATCH: Flying Scotsman steams through Cambridgeshire Fens
- 10 HGV driver courses set up to help meet critical shortages
"Cathy loves her work and she is extremely dedicated. These days we hear so many bad things about young people so it is great to hear of those who do good work for their community."
The Lucozade Sport Hydro Active Women's Challenge takes place in Hyde Park, London, on September 16.
Anyone wishing to support Cathy should call 01353 720988.