CRICKET: Top-of-the-table showdown as City of Ely host fellow high-fliers
- Credit: Archant
The irresistible force meets the immovable object at The Paradise Centre this Saturday.
City of Ely entertain Ashwell in a top-of-the-table showdown in Division Three of the Cambs Senior League (1pm start).
And something has to give as the two sides go into battle having reeled off five successive victories apiece so far this summer.
City of Ely’s latest triumph also arrived on home turf last Saturday when they thumped Horseheath by eight wickets in a high-scoring affair.
The visiting side piled up 238-4 from their 45 overs, but captain Michael Sellers starred in a successful City reply.
You may also want to watch:
He cracked 95 from just 82 balls while Ben Cross thumped a quickfire 58 not out.
Ed Aniskowicz (32no) and Jonny Wallace (27) were the other men in action with the bat.
- 1 Woman has heart attack and dies in ambulance waiting for a hospital bed
- 2 Binmen revolt over alleged bullying, poor pay, low morale and staffing crisis
- 3 £330,000 fraudster burning evidence as police raid his home
- 4 Three charged after £2m Hotpoint arson attack
- 5 Crews tackle huge Fens blaze
- 6 Woman pedestrian in her 50s killed in guided busway crash
- 7 Retired murder detective, Russell, releases first book in new crime series
- 8 'I think I hurt him bad mum' says Murder on the Doorstep killer
- 9 Residents asked to share ideas on how improve cycling and walking in East Cambs town
- 10 Ely Cathedral hosts legendary jockey Frankie Dettori's only book signing
City of Ely 2nds suffered a first 2018 setback last Saturday when beaten by 82 runs at Longstanton Grasshoppers 2nds in Division Three North of the Cambs Junior League.
Opener Matt Tonge top-scored with 34 as they fell for 171 in pursuit of the hosts’ effort of 253-4.
The 2nds make the short trip to Isleham 2nds this Saturday, 1.30pm.