Captain's Log Featuring Andrew Maguire
Captain s Log Featuring Ely Table Tennis captain, Andrew Maguire. I FOUND myself in the position of effectively running the Ely Table Tennis Club around five years ago. In the last couple of years, the club has been through much upheaval through the lo
Captain's Log Featuring Ely Table Tennis captain, Andrew Maguire.
I FOUND myself in the position of effectively running the Ely Table Tennis Club around five years ago.
In the last couple of years, the club has been through much upheaval through the loss of two long term members and the need to find a new venue. During these last two years, we have re-established a dedicated committee and have found an excellent new venue that offers a huge scope for expansion of the club and table tennis in general.
Last season, Ely 1 achieved not only the Journal Cup success but also runners-up in the 1st Division making it the best season I have ever known. Our Ely 2 side achieved a solid mid-table position in the 2nd Division.
This year is looking very promising as both teams are still in the Cup, and Ely 2 are looking very competitive for that promotion place this year. The runners-up spot in Division 1 is looking like another close fought position and Ely 1 are well positioned actually having more points than at the same time last year, despite a couple of recent losses.
In addition to being Ely 1 captain and club secretary, I am also the League Secretary and this year I am also this tournament secretary for the first time! The Ely & District League tournament is on February 22 at Ross Peers Sports Centre, Soham. I hope that, with the Tournament Committee's help, all members of the League will have an enjoyable day and invite anyone to come and watch.
- 1 EastEnders star Adam Woodyatt ‘to work at restaurant in Cambridgeshire’
- 2 Mike Rouse, councillor, former mayor and historian, dies aged 82
- 3 Inferno BBQ to be occupied by sister company Forbidden Burger Co
- 4 Mike Rouse: A lifetime's passion for books and literature
- 5 'A little talent very thinly spread' Mike Rouse, in his own words
- 6 Table made from 5,000-year-old oak tree to be unveiled at Ely Cathedral in honour of The Queen
- 7 Middlesbrough couple found in Cambs with drugs worth around £37,000
- 8 Cambridge: Police officer had surgery after sex offender drove car at them
- 9 Superintendent dons rainbow helmet against hate crime on #IDAHOBIT
- 10 See inside this £1.7m country house with its own lake near Ely
We are so grateful to G's Marketing in Barway for their support and enthusiasm and allowing us use of their sports facilities. G's have invested in another table and the Ely club bought some surrounds so that we now have five tables making the venue one of the largest in Cambridgeshire.
We continue to be grateful to Mick Palmer of Paul Day's Sports for his coaching support. Living Sport are also helping us put on five sessions open to anyone for free on the following Mondays at 7:30pm to 9:00pm: Feb 16 and 23, March 2 and 16 and Apr 6. Contact Andrew on 01353 610188 or email@example.com for more details. So if you want to try hitting a little celluloid ball in one of the fastest ball games in the world or join us in a social game of round-the-table, we look forward to seeing you.