Ely cyclists perform well in competitions at King’s Lynn and then at Builth Wells
- Credit: Archant
There was a good turn-out of Ely riders on Saturday at the Kings Lynn CC time trial held on the B25/33 course near Downham Market, with eight members of the Ely & District Cycling Club (EDCC) taking part in the event.
The fastest Ely rider on the day was once again Darran Bennett, the only EDCC member to complete the 25 mile course in less than an hour with a time of 56 minutes 49 seconds.
Cliff Loveday put in a strong ride to finish just outside the hour mark, with a time of 1:01:46, followed closely by Steve Peck on 1:02:00. Derek Ricketts was the next fastest Ely rider, with a time of 1:02:22, just beating John Manlow who finished on a time of 1:02:31.
Will Shepherd finished in a time of 1:05:52, and Alison Holmes completed the 25 miles course in a time of 1:18:53. The event was won by Commonwealth Games silver medallist Harry Tanfield in a time of 50 minutes 15 seconds, the fastest time ever set on the B25/33g course.
Saturday also saw Mathew Eley racing off road in the fifth and final round of the HSBC XC MTB National Championships which was held at the Royal Welsh Showground in Builth Wells.
You may also want to watch:
Racing in the sport category, Eley finished in 10th place, completing five laps of the course in a time of 1:13:24. This result meant that Eley finished in 9th place overall in the sports category of the National Championships.
- 1 Illegal poachers stopped in their tracks by eagle-eyed public
- 2 Dramatic pictures catch harvester on fire in 4am blaze
- 3 Police pursuit of suspected hare coursers ends in success
- 4 'Loving, caring family man' dies in hospital weeks after A141 crash
- 5 Meet the star cast of Christmas pantomime Sleeping Beauty
- 6 Police investigation after village pavilion covered in graffiti
- 7 Mosque trust named RIBA client of the year 2021
- 8 US jets to practice flypast over Suffolk this morning
- 9 Council expects to spend £2.4m less on older people due to 'Covid loss'
- 10 Envar deny responsibility for county's fly invasion