Bumper weekend for Ely’s Knight
- Credit: Archant
Sailing The final handicap race of Ely Sailing Club’s Autumn Tankard Series was shortened when thunder and lightening disrupted the proceedings but it didn’t stop Jack Knight from claiming the overall win.
John Wells won the final, shortened race on corrected time from Phil Hardy and Simon Leeks who both had the same corrected time of 20 minutes and 10 seconds which was 44 seconds behind John.
There were eight competitors for the earlier pursuit race which was won by Knight in his laser from Wells. A class race was then sailed for the laser fleet with close match racing for the two solo and two topper helms.
The overall winner of the series resulted in a tie with nine points each between Knight and Wells. However, on count back, Knight was declared the winner as he counted four firsts and John only had three.
And, last week, Knight, crewed by Mollie Lee in their national twelve, were the overall winners of the Cambs Youth League at Paxton Lakes. Over the season there had been 85 competitors. Chandler Stamfofd finished 14th and his brother Kirk 54th. The Ely team finished third out of four teams.
You may also want to watch:
The Halloween races start on Sunday at 11.30am. There will be fancy dress prizes and a Halloween themed supper at the end of racing. Model yacht racing will commence at 2pm on Saturday.
- 1 'My UK dream became a reality': World first sake brewery launches in Ely
- 2 Rowdy passengers force train cancellation
- 3 Shocks all round as police pull over 'white van man'
- 4 Man to appear in court after smashing police car window with sledgehammer
- 5 7 questions that could decide if you truly are from the Fens
- 6 Man in court over special constable assault and theft of alcohol
- 7 Transport company donates advertising to children’s brain tumour charity
- 8 Fire destroys family bungalow in the Fens
- 9 Gym’s ‘money for miles’ Children in Need fundraiser
- 10 High-flying 'humble' gymnast, 9, top of the tree on county debut