Brewster’s Canadian challenge
ELY Cycling Club s Geoff Brewster recently represented Great Britain in the ITU World Duathlon Championships in Canada. Despite the fact that Brewster, 48, has only been a competitive cyclist for three years, he was the first of the 31 British competitors
ELY Cycling Club's Geoff Brewster recently represented Great Britain in the ITU World Duathlon Championships in Canada.
Despite the fact that Brewster, 48, has only been a competitive cyclist for three years, he was the first of the 31 British competitors in the 45-49 category, and eighth overall in this age group. He was also 16th of the 74 British athletes who took part.
Brewster, who has been a runner for more than 30 years, said: "Initially I was disappointed with not getting a medal but, on reflection, it was very pleasing to see that I beat so many of the younger athletes."
Brewster finished in an impressive 2:03.78 for the undulating course, which consists of a 10km run, followed by a 40km cycle race, and ends with a 5km run. The course, at Corner Brook, in Canada, is widely regarded as one of the toughest in the duathlon and triathlon circuit, and athletes had to contend with 22 hills.
You may also want to watch:
Brewster said: "Living in the Fens this was difficult to prepare for, and it poured down with rain throughout the day, so the slippery conditions made it even harder."
The Ely Cycling Club member was selected for the Great Britain team after he finished second in the Cambridge Duathlon, which served as the World Championships qualifying event.
- 1 Binmen revolt over alleged bullying, poor pay, low morale and staffing crisis
- 2 Woman pedestrian in her 50s killed in guided busway crash
- 3 Woman has heart attack and dies in ambulance waiting for a hospital bed
- 4 Ely Cathedral hosts legendary jockey Frankie Dettori's only book signing
- 5 Retired murder detective, Russell, releases first book in new crime series
- 6 £330,000 fraudster burning evidence as police raid his home
- 7 'I think I hurt him bad mum' says Murder on the Doorstep killer
- 8 Could we face coronavirus restrictions over Christmas?
- 9 Three charged after £2m Hotpoint arson attack
- 10 Fundraiser for mum with terminal cancer to 'have a good Christmas with her family'
Brewster said: "Being a member of Ely Cycling Club, competing in the weekly time trials and Sunday morning training rides, has had a major contribution to my sporting success."
n For more details about Ely Cycling Club visit www.elycyclingclub.com, or telephone Marc Cox on 01223 263862.