Brewster bags cup success
LAST Tuesday saw Geoff Brewster manage to snatch the much-coveted Sheriff Cup for a hard fought 25 miles over a strength-sapping course. With Ely fast man Colin Whitechurch hot on his heels although still not quite at full fitness, Geoff came home with 1:
LAST Tuesday saw Geoff Brewster manage to snatch the much-coveted Sheriff Cup for a hard fought 25 miles over a strength-sapping course.
With Ely fast man Colin Whitechurch hot on his heels although still not quite at full fitness, Geoff came home with 1:03:04 against Colin's 1:03:04. Andy Clarke took a well earned third place for the Trophy event with a 1:06:58 in quite punishing conditions with a head to side wind for most of the road.
Local cycling stars Ben Price and Dan Staite turned out to ride the course as a two-up, setting a blistering pace for under the hour at 57:42. Opting for a ten mile alternative, Andy Stephen, Ray Legg and Harvey Leadbeater all put in some stirling performances on the bike with 26:34, 30:10 and 34:11 respectively.
The next event for the club will be on June 6 for a 25-mile course from Witchford to Chatteris and back. Riders should meet at the Witchford Pavilion on BedWell Hey Lane in Witchford at least 15 minutes before the official start time of 19:30. If your a younger rider or just new to the sport you can opt for 10 miles instead. Everyone is welcome to come and have a go, just bring a bike.
For more details check out the website www.elycyclingclub.com or telephone Marc Cox on 01223 263862.
Alternatively, take a look on the message board at www. phpbbplanet.com/forum/edcc.html and ask about anything cycling.
- 1 Fenland man repeatedly raped woman for 20 years
- 2 Meet the boat hire firm aiming to become perfect 'stress-free' tonic
- 3 Take a look inside £600,000 period home with 'outstanding charm'
- 4 Arson arrest after Wisbech blaze
- 5 Cambridge 'knife-wielder' arrested
- 6 First visit not 'a flying success' but pub deserves second chance
- 7 Sanctuary Housing criticised over empty homes in Ely
- 8 Santas learn how to put the Ho Ho Ho into Christmas
- 9 Woman who twice ignored 'no fly tipping' signs faces two fines
- 10 New deadline for £6m crematorium decision
25-Mile Sheriff Cup 2006
1 Geoff Brewster 1.03.04; 2 Colin Whitechurch 1.03.34; 3 Andy Clarke 1.06.58; 4 Phillip Peacock 1.08.31; 5 Tom Skyes 1.11.03; 6 David Block 1.15.58; 7 Celia Whitechurch 1.18.13.
1 Dan Staite and Ben Price 57.42
1 Andy Stephen 26.34; 2 Ray Legg 30.10; 3 Harvey Leadbeater 34.11.