Brewster bags cup success
LAST Tuesday saw Geoff Brewster manage to snatch the much-coveted Sheriff Cup for a hard fought 25 miles over a strength-sapping course. With Ely fast man Colin Whitechurch hot on his heels although still not quite at full fitness, Geoff came home with 1:
LAST Tuesday saw Geoff Brewster manage to snatch the much-coveted Sheriff Cup for a hard fought 25 miles over a strength-sapping course.
With Ely fast man Colin Whitechurch hot on his heels although still not quite at full fitness, Geoff came home with 1:03:04 against Colin's 1:03:04. Andy Clarke took a well earned third place for the Trophy event with a 1:06:58 in quite punishing conditions with a head to side wind for most of the road.
Local cycling stars Ben Price and Dan Staite turned out to ride the course as a two-up, setting a blistering pace for under the hour at 57:42. Opting for a ten mile alternative, Andy Stephen, Ray Legg and Harvey Leadbeater all put in some stirling performances on the bike with 26:34, 30:10 and 34:11 respectively.
The next event for the club will be on June 6 for a 25-mile course from Witchford to Chatteris and back. Riders should meet at the Witchford Pavilion on BedWell Hey Lane in Witchford at least 15 minutes before the official start time of 19:30. If your a younger rider or just new to the sport you can opt for 10 miles instead. Everyone is welcome to come and have a go, just bring a bike.
You may also want to watch:
For more details check out the website www.elycyclingclub.com or telephone Marc Cox on 01223 263862.
Alternatively, take a look on the message board at www. phpbbplanet.com/forum/edcc.html and ask about anything cycling.
- 1 Dramatic pictures catch harvester on fire in 4am blaze
- 2 Illegal poachers stopped in their tracks by eagle-eyed public
- 3 'Loving, caring family man' dies in hospital weeks after A141 crash
- 4 Police investigation after village pavilion covered in graffiti
- 5 Mosque trust named RIBA client of the year 2021
- 6 Police pursuit of suspected hare coursers ends in success
- 7 8 of the best shows coming to Cambridgeshire in November
- 8 Fireworks join Christmas lights on the Covid cancelled list for Ely
- 9 Rats are causing 'abhorrent situation' in town, admits councillor
- 10 Christmas comes early as festive lights couple hold trial switch-on
25-Mile Sheriff Cup 2006
1 Geoff Brewster 1.03.04; 2 Colin Whitechurch 1.03.34; 3 Andy Clarke 1.06.58; 4 Phillip Peacock 1.08.31; 5 Tom Skyes 1.11.03; 6 David Block 1.15.58; 7 Celia Whitechurch 1.18.13.
1 Dan Staite and Ben Price 57.42
1 Andy Stephen 26.34; 2 Ray Legg 30.10; 3 Harvey Leadbeater 34.11.