Brett-er than rest!
ENGLAND No.1 Nicky Brett is the Champion of Champions. The City of Ely bowler triumphed in Sunday s final of the competition at Gunton Hall, Suffolk. The 32-year-old beat respected county player Neil Smith, from Swindon s Westlecot Bowls Club, by a convin
ENGLAND No.1 Nicky Brett is the Champion of Champions.
The City of Ely bowler triumphed in Sunday's final of the competition at Gunton Hall, Suffolk.
The 32-year-old beat respected county player Neil Smith, from Swindon's Westlecot Bowls Club, by a convincing
You may also want to watch:
Brett qualified for the two-day finals with 15 other bowlers by winning his club's singles title and then the East Region
Area One play-off at Chesterton.
- 1 Shocks all round as police pull over 'white van man'
- 2 G's to help save Christmas for poultry industry
- 3 Fire destroys family bungalow in the Fens
- 4 Motion calls for community housing review in four villages
- 5 Triple judo Olympic champion to give masterclass for Ely Dojo
- 6 New Ely cinema, royal visit, Welney gets a hall and Thomas a new car
- 7 WATCH: Flying Scotsman steams through Cambridgeshire Fens
- 8 Seven men jailed for stealing bikes worth £70k
- 9 New-look Crusaders show fighting spirit to earn comeback triumph
- 10 Labour backs calls for extra Covid-19 safety measures in schools
Brett has won every English Indoor Bowling Association title, apart from the triples and singles.
He said: "It's great to win any national title and the Champion of Champions has to be up there with the top five or six competitions in the country."
The Ely bowler won two matches, on Saturday, beating Metrodome's Michael Crawshaw 21-10 and Riverain's Tony Webb 21-11, to secure a place in the semi-final.
Brett made light work of Sunday's opponents, winning 21-2 against Darlington's Andy Kirkland before cruising to victory in the final of the competition he last won in 2003.
He said: "That's the best I've played for a long time, although the score doesn't suggest it, Neil Smith played very well in the final.
"When you use the last bowl well it gives you a massive advantage.
"I did that very well and managed to turn a few ends round.