Boxing Day win boosts Robins title ambitions
Ely City 3 Wisbech Town 1
ELY City moved up into third position in the Ridgeons Premier League with an excellent win over promotion rivals Wisbech Town on Boxing Day.
Despite falling behind to a Kenny Smith own goal early in the match, the Robins recovered with strikes from Nick Impey, Luke Parkinson and Stuart Walker to take the win in front of a bumper Boxing Day crowd of 262 at the Unwin Ground.
Alan Alsop’s men sit just three points behind second-place side Brantham Athletic with the visit of mid-table Mildenhall Town to come on January 2.
Though suffering with an abundance of injuries, it was the visitors who moved into the early lead as, just 38 seconds into the match, a cross from the bye line was deflected into the net by Smith.
You may also want to watch:
Ely took a while to find their feet and were fortunate to see Sam Murpy’s speculative shot cannon off the post before former Wisbech striker Nick Impey fired home a loose ball with 20 minutes gone.
Parkinson pounced on indecision in the visiting defence to put the home side into the lead shortly before half-time as Ely started to dictate play.
- 1 Rowdy passengers force train cancellation
- 2 Daughter sets fire to father's bedroom after food outrage
- 3 Sparkling sake brewery launches in Ely
- 4 Man, 20, rapes woman as she slept, court told
- 5 Police buy clothes for Iranian children rescued from lorry
- 6 Woman delighted to finally be a mum after infertility heartache
- 7 Child rapist from St Ives has been jailed after abuse
- 8 Have your say on plans to improve city rail station
- 9 Teen rape case prompts city market safety review
- 10 St Neots murder to feature in 24 Hours in Police Custody
Wisbech had efforts cleared off the line in the second half as they sought a way back into the game but the points were sealed with less than five minutes left on the clock as Walker pounced on a goalkeeping error to make it 3-1.