BOWLS: City of Ely star Ed Elmore crowned British Isles Under 25s Singles champion
- Credit: Archant
The City of Ely Bowls Club is now home to another national champion.
Club talent Ed Elmore was crowned as the British Isles Under 25s Singles champion after easing to victory in the Belfast-based tournament last weekend.
However, Ed’s title tilt nearly ended prematurely after he found himself 16-9 down to Ryan Thomas of Wales in the opening round.
But the Ely man proved he is a force to be reckoned with and stormed back to seal a place in the semi-finals with a 21-20 triumph.
He then went head-to-head with the Channel Islands’ Scott Baxter, and secured his passage into the final with a 21-10 success.
You may also want to watch:
Waiting in the final was Scotland’s Andrew Thompson, but the Scot proved no match for Ed who lifted the trophy courtesy of another 21-10 win.
Other Ely bowlers were also in action in the Men’s International Series.
- 1 Binmen revolt over alleged bullying, poor pay, low morale and staffing crisis
- 2 Woman pedestrian in her 50s killed in guided busway crash
- 3 Woman has heart attack and dies in ambulance waiting for a hospital bed
- 4 Ely Cathedral hosts legendary jockey Frankie Dettori's only book signing
- 5 Retired murder detective, Russell, releases first book in new crime series
- 6 £330,000 fraudster burning evidence as police raid his home
- 7 'I think I hurt him bad mum' says Murder on the Doorstep killer
- 8 Could we face coronavirus restrictions over Christmas?
- 9 Covid-19 vaccine myths ‘biggest challenge’ in progress
- 10 Three charged after £2m Hotpoint arson attack
Debutant Robert Elmore and club stalwart Greg Harlow helped England retain the Hilton Trophy with wins over Wales and Ireland.