BOWLS: City of Ely star Ed Elmore crowned British Isles Under 25s Singles champion
- Credit: Archant
The City of Ely Bowls Club is now home to another national champion.
Club talent Ed Elmore was crowned as the British Isles Under 25s Singles champion after easing to victory in the Belfast-based tournament last weekend.
However, Ed’s title tilt nearly ended prematurely after he found himself 16-9 down to Ryan Thomas of Wales in the opening round.
But the Ely man proved he is a force to be reckoned with and stormed back to seal a place in the semi-finals with a 21-20 triumph.
He then went head-to-head with the Channel Islands’ Scott Baxter, and secured his passage into the final with a 21-10 success.
Waiting in the final was Scotland’s Andrew Thompson, but the Scot proved no match for Ed who lifted the trophy courtesy of another 21-10 win.
Other Ely bowlers were also in action in the Men’s International Series.
- 1 EastEnders star Adam Woodyatt ‘to work at restaurant in Cambridgeshire’
- 2 Inferno BBQ to be occupied by sister company Forbidden Burger Co
- 3 Cambridge: Police officer had surgery after sex offender drove car at them
- 4 'Gas engineer' reportedly stole two phones and a purse in Haddenham
- 5 Middlesbrough couple found in Cambs with drugs worth around £37,000
- 6 See inside this £1.7m country house with its own lake near Ely
- 7 Can you answer these 10 GCSE questions designed for 16-year-olds?
- 8 Superintendent dons rainbow helmet against hate crime on #IDAHOBIT
- 9 Village café battles Covid-19 delays to raise over £1,700
- 10 Yarn-bombing returns to city ahead of the Queen’s Platinum Jubilee
Debutant Robert Elmore and club stalwart Greg Harlow helped England retain the Hilton Trophy with wins over Wales and Ireland.