FOUR Ely bowlers have been selected for the England squad to play in the British Isles Team Championship at Thornaby in March. Andrew Ware receives his first England cap and will be joined by experienced international club-mates Greg Harlow, Nicky Brett a
FOUR Ely bowlers have been selected for the England squad to play in the British Isles Team Championship at Thornaby in March.
Andrew Ware receives his first England cap and will be joined by experienced international club-mates Greg Harlow, Nicky Brett and Mark Smith after the Ely quartets' successful trials in Northampton.
Ware is currently ranked No 16 in England and No 49 in the world and has won three national and two British Isles titles.
The 39-year-old, from Littleport, started bowling at City of Ely Indoor Bowls Club when he was 12, with world No 1 Harlow, and has been on the fringe of international selection for the last five years.
Harlow said: "Everyone at the club is over the moon for Andrew, he definitely deserves his chance. Many of us thought he would make the team last year when he was a reserve. I remember pulling on an England shirt for the first time, about 14 years ago, and it was obviously a very proud moment, so I'm really pleased that Andrew will now get to experience that feeling."
Ware, Smith and Harlow will play together with current world champion Mervyn King, from the Gallow Club, in what many see as one of the strongest rinks.
- 1 Back garden log cabin needs permission says council
- 2 Replacement home not good enough says council
- 3 Preschool 'special in people's hearts' to close after more than 30 years
- 4 This Grade II listed Georgian home in Ely could be yours for £575,000
- 5 Change of plan for A142 Mepal bridge works as July closures announced
- 6 21st century agreement on future of 17th century pub
- 7 PROFILE: Steve Barclay – MP for NE Cambs and front man for Boris Johnson
- 8 Large Hotel of the Year winner is proud of its history
- 9 Daughter pays tribute to model engineer who 'tried his hand at anything'
- 10 ‘It’s sadly coming to a natural end’ - restaurant to close its doors by August
Brett will team up with Mark Bantock, Les Gillett and Robert Newman.
Ware said: "It's really tough to break through to international level, but now I've finally made it, I can hopefully stay there for many years.
"There have been a number of youngsters who started bowling at Ely at around the same time as me, who have gone on to play at the highest level. It just shows what can be achieved."
The British Isles Team Championship starts on March 9.
- Anyone, young or old, interested in bowling at City of Ely Bowls Club should contact Brian and Sandra Roberts on 01353 664252.