Boss angry after 'spineless’ show
FA CUP FIRST QUALIFYING ROUND REPLAY Soham Town Rangers 1 Stowmarket Town 4 A FURIOUS Ian Benjamin declared this the most spineless performance I have ever seen in all my time in football after Rangers were dumped out of the FA Cup on Tuesday night. A
FA CUP FIRST QUALIFYING ROUND REPLAY
Soham Town Rangers 1 Stowmarket Town 4
A FURIOUS Ian Benjamin declared this "the most spineless performance I have ever seen in all my time in football" after Rangers were dumped out of the FA Cup on Tuesday night.
A lacklustre Soham side were short of passion and ideas and, after a deflected shot gave Stowmarket the lead after 15 minutes, they gifted two more goals to the Division 1 team.
You may also want to watch:
The Stowmarket players fought for every ball and went in with a deserved 3-0 lead at half-time.
Little changed in the second-half, with the visitors looking the stronger of the two teams in every area. Andy Furnell pulled one back for Rangers on the 80th minute but slack defending gifted Stowmarket a fourth goal just two minutes later.
- 1 Dramatic pictures catch harvester on fire in 4am blaze
- 2 Illegal poachers stopped in their tracks by eagle-eyed public
- 3 'Loving, caring family man' dies in hospital weeks after A141 crash
- 4 Police pursuit of suspected hare coursers ends in success
- 5 Meet the star cast of Christmas pantomime Sleeping Beauty
- 6 Police investigation after village pavilion covered in graffiti
- 7 Mosque trust named RIBA client of the year 2021
- 8 Council expects to spend £2.4m less on older people due to 'Covid loss'
- 9 US jets to practice flypast over Suffolk this morning
- 10 Envar deny responsibility for county's fly invasion
Benjamin said: "There is absolutely no excuse for our performance. I brought two players off at half-time and, if I could have, I would have taken off seven or eight.
"The FA Cup is extremely important for us, in terms of generating money and raising the profile of the club, but most of our players didn't seem to care. I was so angry on Tuesday night, I even thought about leaving the club. The least I expect of my players is 100 per cent effort, and I got nothing close to that. We are going to have to put in a much better performance against the champions on Saturday."
* Soham play Lowestoft at home on Saturday. Kick-off 3pm.