Bonus point is small consolation for battling Tigers
- Credit: Archant
Rugby Norwich Crusaders 10 Ely Crusaders 7
ELY Tigers suffered a setback in their push for promotion this season following defeat at Norwich on Saturday.
There were some positives for John Dibb’s side however, as they gained a losing bonus point against their conquerors, who sit just four points behind them in the Eastern Counties Division 1.
In the first five minutes, the Tigers looked strong and kept the ball in hand, powerful mauling from the forwards gaining metres for Ely. The maul collapsed just short of the line but Mitchell Kennett was able to force his way over to touchdown from the back of a ruck. Joel Scott Paul converted.
Ely caught the kick-off and recycled the ball but a sliced clearance attempt gave Crusaders a line-out in the Tiger’s twenty-two. Ely were unable to defend the constant forward carrying from Crusaders and they crashed over for a converted try. Towards the end of the half Ely started to lose their discipline, a multitude of penalties resulted in the sin binning of hooker Matt Kelly and Crusaders were able to convert the three points.
The second half brought a lot of failed chances. Kennett almost scored his second of the day, but was held up on two occasions. Five minutes from the end, the ball came out to Duncan Fraser who was tackled into touch metres from the try line. Man of the match was Luke Cornwell.
Ely Tigers are set to host their third annual Ladies Day at the Downham Road club on March 2.
- 1 Mexican restaurant to open inside former Frankie & Benny's in Ely
- 2 'A little talent very thinly spread' Mike Rouse, in his own words
- 3 Mike Rouse, councillor, former mayor and historian, dies aged 82
- 4 Inferno BBQ to be occupied by sister company Forbidden Burger Co
- 5 Soham tribute to 'honest, funny, intelligent and understanding human being'
- 6 Village road closing for five weeks for temporary barrier installation
- 7 Mike Rouse: A lifetime's passion for books and literature
- 8 Breakup and burglary! Couple's chaos after £101m win on Euromillions
- 9 EastEnders star Adam Woodyatt ‘to work at restaurant in Cambridgeshire’
- 10 Ex-soldier Rob on a mission to bring 'ideas and energy' to Ely
Starting at 12.30pm, the event will see a three-course meal, entertainment and various stalls as well as all the action from Ely’s match with Southwold from 2.30pm. Tickets, at £25, are available from Zoe Evans on 07786 260327.