Bonus point bonanza for brilliant Ely Tigers as nine try haul powers them to big win over Woodbridge
- Credit: Archant
Ely Tigers are within touching distance of lifting the Eastern Counties Division One title after roaring to a commanding 55-5 victory over Woodbridge.
Nine tries, including a double from Jerome Scott-Paul, fired the Tigers to their bonus point victory, which takes them two points clear of second-placed Wymondham in the hunt for title glory with only four league games remaining.
John Dibb, Ricky Neale, Harry Rogerson, Lori Martin, Matt McCarthy, Dan Coulson, Sam Benzie and Scott-Paul’s majestic double sealed Ely’s excellent win, with McCarthy’s ever-reliable boot also adding seven conversions.
Mitchell Kennett had a fine game in the second row, sharing the man-of-the-match award with try-scorer Dibb.
The Tigers are without a match this weekend, and will be hoping to be rejuvinated and ready for their clash with basement side Swaffham on March 5.
You may also want to watch:
Ely hammered Swaffham 41-6 in the reverse fixture back in November, and the Tigers will also be hoping that strugglers Thurston will do them a huge favour by upsetting the odds and beating Wymondham on March 19.
- 1 Alternative banking available as local branch closes
- 2 AN APOLOGY: The Gables in Chatteris
- 3 300 take part in autonomous shuttle passenger trial
- 4 A10 speed limit reduced at Waterbeach after death of baby Louis Thorold
- 5 Person dies after being struck by train in Cambridge
- 6 Eagle-eyed plane spotter saves pilot's life
- 7 Historic hotel opens doors after lockdown transformation
- 8 Not breaking news: Vicar has lucky escape, station closes and hotel sold
- 9 9 never to be forgotten moments from Cambridgeshire politicians
- 10 Open air theatre is back in Ely this weekend