Bonus point bonanza for brilliant Ely Tigers as nine try haul powers them to big win over Woodbridge
- Credit: Archant
Ely Tigers are within touching distance of lifting the Eastern Counties Division One title after roaring to a commanding 55-5 victory over Woodbridge.
Nine tries, including a double from Jerome Scott-Paul, fired the Tigers to their bonus point victory, which takes them two points clear of second-placed Wymondham in the hunt for title glory with only four league games remaining.
John Dibb, Ricky Neale, Harry Rogerson, Lori Martin, Matt McCarthy, Dan Coulson, Sam Benzie and Scott-Paul’s majestic double sealed Ely’s excellent win, with McCarthy’s ever-reliable boot also adding seven conversions.
Mitchell Kennett had a fine game in the second row, sharing the man-of-the-match award with try-scorer Dibb.
The Tigers are without a match this weekend, and will be hoping to be rejuvinated and ready for their clash with basement side Swaffham on March 5.
You may also want to watch:
Ely hammered Swaffham 41-6 in the reverse fixture back in November, and the Tigers will also be hoping that strugglers Thurston will do them a huge favour by upsetting the odds and beating Wymondham on March 19.
- 1 Town considers home for market
- 2 Fireworks join Christmas lights on the Covid cancelled list for Ely
- 3 Covid-19 job loss prompts Martin to launch out on his own
- 4 Plea to council to halt £6.5m crematorium plan
- 5 Village housing in disarray after all the trustees quit
- 6 Sutton couple mark seven decades of marriage
- 7 ‘Tired and dated’ road can only get better with our 40 new homes, say builders
- 8 Sex offender caught with 76 of most serious child abuse photos
- 9 Watch the moment E-scooter rider, 16, narrowly misses crashing into bus
- 10 Derby win gets Ely City back on track after eight-goal thriller