Bonanza in Belgium
ELY Rugby Club secured their second piece of silverware this season, when a mixed squad of senior players won a tournament in Belgium. The Tigers, whose second team won the Greene King Premier Nord division last month, beat Norfolk side Fakenham 30-0 in t
ELY Rugby Club secured their second piece of silverware this season, when a mixed squad of senior players won a tournament in Belgium.
The Tigers, whose second team won the Greene King Premier Nord division last month, beat Norfolk side Fakenham 30-0 in the final.
Ely scored 178 points (32 tries) without conceding a single point. Sam Sanders-Hewett headed the scoring with seven tries, and nine conversions, Lee Coulson came second with six tries, Lee Kupyn third with five and Daniel Coulson fourth with four.
Matches were 10 minutes per half, except the final where it was 15.
The two-day tournament, at Ghent Rugby Club, saw Ely beat Belgian side Rhinos 36-0, Orpington 42-0 and Fakenham
30-0 on Saturday, to move into the knock-out phase.
- 1 Back garden log cabin needs permission says council
- 2 Preschool 'special in people's hearts' to close after more than 30 years
- 3 Change of plan for A142 Mepal bridge works as July closures announced
- 4 This Grade II listed Georgian home in Ely could be yours for £575,000
- 5 Replacement home not good enough says council
- 6 Daughter pays tribute to model engineer who 'tried his hand at anything'
- 7 ‘It’s sadly coming to a natural end’ - restaurant to close its doors by August
- 8 Large Hotel of the Year winner is proud of its history
- 9 BMX star, 11, hopes world debut can lead to Olympics dream
- 10 21st century agreement on future of 17th century pub
The Tigers came though a tough match to beat French side Orange Paris 15-0, and defeated Unidare, from Cork, 25-0 in the semi-final.
A second 30-0 victory over Fakenham won Ely the cup.