Blockbuster seals a hard-fought win
RIDGEONS FIRST DIVISION Ely City 2 Thetford Town 0 City remain top of the table on goal difference after a hard-fought victory against lowly Thetford, sealed by an 87th minute blockbuster from Andy Chatters. Up until that point City had struggled justify
RIDGEONS FIRST DIVISION
Ely City 2 Thetford Town 0
City remain top of the table on goal difference after a hard-fought victory against lowly Thetford, sealed by an 87th minute blockbuster from Andy Chatters.
Up until that point City had struggled justify the 14-place gap between the two sides at the start of play, despite taking a 10th minute lead.
You may also want to watch:
A powerful header from Robbie Mason was ruled out for offside as Ely tried to establish an early foothold in the game, but Nick Impey's strike did count following some good work by the lively Mark Johnston.
Thetford's Mark Fowler blazed a header over the top when well placed to equalise after 25 minutes, and soon afterwards a free-kick from Chatters was turned over the bar by Snowdon in the Thetford goal.
- 1 Binmen revolt over alleged bullying, poor pay, low morale and staffing crisis
- 2 Woman pedestrian in her 50s killed in guided busway crash
- 3 Plans revealed for new A10 pedestrian bridge
- 4 'I feel alive for the first time': Slimmer lost half his body weight in lockdown
- 5 Ely Cathedral hosts legendary jockey Frankie Dettori's only book signing
- 6 Man charged over death threats to deputy Labour leader Angela Rayner
- 7 Memorial stone for Cambridge student laid hidden in undergrowth for 80 years
- 8 Cambridgeshire hospitals busy and staff tired and abused
- 9 Woman has heart attack and dies in ambulance waiting for a hospital bed
- 10 Matt’s 46-day charity cycle from Burwell to Istanbul raises over £2,000
Impey might have scored again two minutes after the interval, but his acute-angled drive was cleared by a sliding Thetford defender.
Brady Stone then nodded a corner over the bar before the visitors pressed forward once more in search of the equaliser.
They were unlucky not to receive a free-kick in a dangerous position after a foul on the edge of the box, but continued to look threatening until Chatters clinched the points with just three minutes remaining.
Snowdon didn't even have time to move as the 25-yard shot from
Chatters ripped into the roof of the net behind him.
- Before the match, Ely were presented with their December Ridgeons Team of the Month Award, having been adjudged to have the best overall playing and disciplinary record during that month. City received a cheque for £150 and a further cheque for £100 to their chosen charity - the East Anglian Children's Hospice in Milton.
- City travel to Haverhill Rovers tomorrow night (Friday) for a 7.45 kick off. They go to Suffolk again on the following Tuesday for a Ridgeons League Cup quarter-final tie at Lowestoft Town.