Best foot four-ward
TOP GOLFERS Colin Montgomerie OBE and Nick Dougherty are backing Witchford golfers Ray Haddow, Alan Richardson, Mark Walker and Nigel Rogerson as they prepare to take on Macmillan Cancer Support s Longest Day Challenge. The team will be swinging into acti
TOP GOLFERS Colin Montgomerie OBE and Nick Dougherty are backing Witchford golfers Ray Haddow, Alan Richardson, Mark Walker and Nigel Rogerson as they prepare to take on Macmillan Cancer Support's Longest Day Challenge.
The team will be swinging into action on Saturday, June 30, at Waterbeach Golf Club where they hope to raise more than £1,000 for the cancer care charity by playing four rounds in a single day.
Team member Ray Haddow said: "We really wanted to take on the challenge and help Macmillan Cancer Support because it is such a crucial charity in supporting those affected by this terrible disease.
"It will be no easy feat completing four rounds of golf in one day, but we'll be spurred on knowing each hole will be helping people living with cancer."
The top three teams in the UK will go on to compete for the Longest Day Golf Challenge 2007 Trophy in the final at the De Vere Slayley Hall.
Teams also have the chance to win a golf master class at Wentworth with rising star Nick Dougherty, who supports the event for the first time.
- 1 Table made from 5,000-year-old oak tree to be unveiled at Ely Cathedral in honour of The Queen
- 2 Princess Anne unveils new 'national treasure' Jubilee table in Ely
- 3 Villagers can be proud says school head as Ofsted gives thumbs up
- 4 Met Office weather: Yellow storm and flood warning for East of England
- 5 See inside this Grade II listed former pub with self-contained annexe
- 6 Three brass instruments worth £20k stolen from church
- 7 Table made from 5,000-year-old oak tree arrives at Ely Cathedral
- 8 Hand clinic offering additional type of treatment for arthritis sufferers
- 9 'Energy and hope' on the agenda for new Ely mayor
- 10 Girl, 7, left heartbroken after beloved rabbits are stolen
Montgomerie, who is a regular supporter of the event, said: "We've all been touched by cancer in some way, either personally or through friends and family.
"The Longest Day Challenge is the perfect excuse to have the ultimate golfing day while raising money for Macmillan Cancer Support."
The Witchford team's progress will be shown on their fundraising web page at www.justgiving.com/witchfordwackers.
Other golfers wishing to put their handicap to the test for charity can get involved by calling 020 7840 4614, emailing firstname.lastname@example.org or visiting the website at www.macmillan.org.uk/golf.