Best boxer of his age’
TORNADO Tyler Goodjohn ripped through Romford to take the scalp of England No. 3 Joe Wilcox. Haddenham boxer Goodjohn, 16, overpowered Wilcox, of Lyndney ABC, to win Friday s Open Show on a unanimous decision. Goodjohn knocked Wilcox down for eight counts
TORNADO Tyler Goodjohn ripped through Romford to take the scalp of England No. 3 Joe Wilcox.
Haddenham boxer Goodjohn, 16, overpowered Wilcox, of Lyndney ABC, to win Friday's Open Show on a unanimous decision.
Goodjohn knocked Wilcox down for eight counts in the first and second rounds and completely dominated his opponent in the 66kg match.
Coach Mick Sawyer said: "I've been working Tyler really hard in training. He's developed a new and improved upstanding style of boxing."
Goodjohn opened up his opponent in the first round with a series of left jabs and floored Wilcox with a combination of two left jabs, a right hook and a powerful left body-shot.
An equally impressive second-round combination which ended with a thunderous right hook to the head saw Wilcox hit the canvas in the second round and Goodjohn continued to dominate in the final round to take victory.
- 1 EastEnders star Adam Woodyatt ‘to work at restaurant in Cambridgeshire’
- 2 See inside this £1.7m country house with its own lake near Ely
- 3 'Gas engineer' reportedly stole two phones and a purse in Haddenham
- 4 Village toasts Queen's Platinum Jubilee with a memorable touch
- 5 Weekend closure for A142 for bridge works between Ely and Chatteris
- 6 Princess Anne unveils new 'national treasure' Jubilee table in Ely
- 7 Superintendent dons rainbow helmet against hate crime on #IDAHOBIT
- 8 Inside the £165,000 luxury river boat for sale in the Fens
- 9 Village café battles Covid-19 delays to raise over £1,700
- 10 Corporal lines up world record 135km paddleboard trek for 'gleaming' Bobby
Sawyer said: "I've had Tyler looking at videos of the American boxer Floyd Mayweather and it's improving him so much. I already think he's the best boxer of his age in the country."
Goodjohn's Haddenham club-mate Jessie Smith, 14, was also victorious at the show, winning his match with K Redding on a unanimous decision.
n Haddenham ABC's first Open Show of the season will take place at the Arkenstall Centre on November 24. The show is expected to sell out. Tickets are available from the Arkenstall Centre between 7-8pm on a Monday evening or by ringing Mick Sawyer on 07967 813306.