Bennett grabs point for ’Port

SATURDAY FOOTBALL PREMIER DIVISION THE CLASH between Fordham and Littleport Town usually ends in a draw, and Saturday s encounter was no exception as Port extended their unbeaten run to six games, and Fordham endured their fifth match without a win. Jo



THE CLASH between Fordham and Littleport Town usually ends in a draw, and Saturday's encounter was no exception as 'Port extended their unbeaten run to six games, and Fordham endured their fifth match without a win.

John Sands pounced on a loose ball to give Fordham the lead after 15 minutes, but the visitors levelled through Sean Ambrose after a fine move involving Chris Wilson and Nigel Smith.

Dan Langley put the hosts back in front with a penalty, but 'Port salvaged a point with a spot-kick of their own.

Dave Beeton was pushed in the box as Littleport pressed for the equaliser, and impressive youngster Nathan Bennett fired into the top corner to make it 2-2.

Most Read


ELY City Reserves fell behind in the first half of their match at lowly Grampian, but fought back to earn a draw. Liam Hart got them back on level terms from the penalty spot and Chris Lupson made it 2-1 with a spectacular 40-yard effort, but Grampian salvaged a point despite having a player red-carded.



SOHAM Town Rangers Reserves are out of the competition following a penalty shoot-out in the home clash with Brampton.

They trailed 3-0 in the first half before Gareth Randall pulled one back, and second half efforts from Rob Frankson and Alex Irvine forced extra-time.

Brampton held out for the spot-kicks however, and Soham were eventually beaten 4-3 after missing two of theirs.


SOHAM United player-manager Andy Parker admitted, "we rode our luck", after a narrow win at West Wratting Reserves.

West Wratting missed a penalty in the first half before the decisive moment came eight minutes from time, with Ben Brown getting on the end of a move which involved Jim Brown and Chris Lam to secure a 1-0 win.

Haddenham Rovers meanwhile crashed 4-0 at home to Comberton United, and seem to have had their limitations exposed in recent weeks.


LITTLEPORT Town Reserves dropped their first points of the campaign after drawing with Cottenham United Reserves, but did well to get something out of the game after having their goalkeeper Andy Smart sent off.

Luke Butcher and Clive Lee were the home players on target, but the leaders eventually had to settle for a 2-2 draw.


STRETHAM Hotspurs are still without a win after they presented hitherto point-less Needingworth United Reserves with a 5-2 victory away from home, but Isleham United got off the mark at home to Bluntisham Rangers Reserves.

Dylan Harman, Lee Heading - with his first Isleham goal - and substitute Andrew Quinn put the hosts 3-0 ahead, and then held off a late Bluntisham comeback which yielded two goals.

Witchford '96 took an early lead in the match at Hemingfords United Reserves, but poor defending - particularly in the first half - culminated in a 4-2 defeat.

Aaron Spencer accounted for both Witchford goals, but they were always chasing the game after falling behind towards the end of the first half.


PYMOOR FC kept up their promotion chase with a comfortable victory over Dullingham, but may have three points deducted after apparently fielding an ineligible player in the 6-0 defeat of Huntingdon United RGE Reserves.

David Harvey led the way on Saturday with a hat-trick, and there were strikes from Stephen Ball (2), Aaron Povey and Tony Ure, as well as two own goals as the hosts ran out 9-0 winners.

Injury-hit Soham United Reserves were thankful for a double from Floyd 'Fiz' Farrell as they shared the spoils with local rivals The Vine.

Grant Spencer and Ben Hatton struck to put the Vine in control after Farrell's opener, but the United player struck again to make the final score 2-2.

Little Downham Swifts claimed their first points of the season - at the fifth attempt - by defeating Cottenham United A 2-0, and Fordham Reserves also put some points on the board at the expense of Huntingdon United RGE Reserves.

Scott Day (2) and Ollie Foreman were the players on target as the visitors eventually ran out winners by a 3-1 margin.


RYAN Bate scored four times as Sutton United Reserves overcame the 11th minute dismissal of Lee Reed to thrash Haddenham Rovers Reserves.

Sutton - who led 1-0 at the time of Reed's departure - were 3-1 ahead at the midway stage, and ran out impressive 8-2 winners as Bate wrapped things up with a goal direct from a corner.

Other players on the mark for United were Courtney Harrison, Duncan Turner and the defensive pairing of Jonathan Few and Sean Bristow.

Ely Crusaders drew 2-2 at Milton A, but Burwell Swifts are up to second in the table after winning 7-3 at West Row Gunners Reserves.

They raced into a 5-0 lead and took complete control.

Danny Jones headed in Lol Maskell's cross and then nodded in a second before Lee Hardy's brace - also including a header - made it 4-0.

Mike Edwards then extended Burwell's lead - with yet another header - and although the hosts pulled one back before half-time, man-of-the-match Chris Grant made it 6-1 with a second-half penalty.

West Row rallied briefly with a couple of goals on the break, but Edwards made the final score 7-3 with a skilful volley from the edge of the box.

The leaders Wisbech St Mary A meanwhile dropped their first points at home to a Mepal Sports side who maintained their 100% start with a 2-0 win.

Darren Murfitt opened the scoring with a 40th minute cross-shot, and substitute Luke Wilson wrapped up the points after excellent play from Adam Cross.


WICKEN Amateurs moved into second spot after beating Little Downham Swifts Reserves, but have currently played more games than anyone else.

They missed a host of early chances before Jamie Palmer capitalised on good work by Neil Masters and Matt Cook in the 24th minute, and Jamie Clay made it 2-0 with a back-heel.

Nathan Sheriff fired in off the underside of the bar a minute later, and then provided the 40th minute cross which Palmer headed in.

Downham managed to reduce the deficit to a single goal in the second period, but Sheriff struck again with 10 minutes remaining and went on to make it 6-4 after the visitors had pulled another one back.

Man-of-the-match Tom Thatcher was the difference between the two sides as Burwell Swifts Reserves overcame their Isleham United counterparts.

Nick O'Leary's first minute opener was cancelled out by Matthew Rowley in the 15th minute, but Swifts restored their advantage soon afterwards as Thatcher nodded in a long throw from Gavin Jones.

United got back on terms again through Jamie Gould midway through the second half, but were subsequently left to rue a missed Sam Richardson penalty as further goals from Thatcher - to complete his hat-trick - and John Irvine - with a powerful 30-yard free-kick - completed a 5-2 scoreline in favour of Swifts.

Littleport Town A beat point-less Longstanton Reserves by the odd goal in seven thanks to Gary Hunt, Mick Edwards, Jamie Doswell and Luke Bailey, but The Vine Reserves were no match for leaders Walsoken United, going down 3-0.