Beech’s triple salvo
RIDGEONS LEAGUE FIRST DIVISION Ely City 3 Stowmarket Tn 1 A TOM Beech hat-trick secured Ely s fifth successive win, leading boss Dennis Lightning to claim having the striker in form was like playing with 12 men. After the win, which moves City into thir
RIDGEONS LEAGUE FIRST DIVISION
Ely City 3 Stowmarket Tn 1
A TOM Beech hat-trick secured Ely's fifth successive win, leading boss Dennis Lightning to claim having the striker in form was like playing with 12 men.
After the win, which moves City into third, Lightning said: "I seem to be finally getting through to Tom. When he's good he's too much for any team in this league to cope with but when he has a bad game he goes missing.
You may also want to watch:
"The problems in the past have been with his work-rate, but if he continues like this he'll score loads of goals."
Beech, who rejoined The Robins in October after a spell at Potton United, equalised after 16 minutes and struck twice in the opening period of the second half before leaving the field with injury.
- 1 Shocks all round as police pull over 'white van man'
- 2 Motion calls for community housing review in four villages
- 3 G's to help save Christmas for poultry industry
- 4 Father-of-five murdered due to 'drug deal dispute gone wrong'
- 5 WATCH: Flying Scotsman steams through Cambridgeshire Fens
- 6 Fire destroys family bungalow in the Fens
- 7 New Ely cinema, royal visit, Welney gets a hall and Thomas a new car
- 8 WATCH: The Fens celebrates its own 'Ark of Triumph'
- 9 Seven men jailed for stealing bikes worth £70k
- 10 New-look Crusaders show fighting spirit to earn comeback triumph
The visitors went ahead after seven minutes, before Beech headed home from six yards after Simon Warren headed the ball back across goal following a corner.
Debut-making striker Andy Pettit left the field at half-time due to illness and Ely switched from 4-4-2 to 3-5-2 for a second half they controlled. Beech left the Town keeper with no chance when he hammered home a stunning half-volley from the edge of the penalty area on 51 minutes.
The striker then picked up a knock and just as he was about to leave the field he scrambled the ball home for 3-1.
Beech was immediately replaced by Robbie Mason, who caused no end of problems for the Stowmarket defence.
Mason created two good chances for substitute Dave Daniels, who failed to finish.
The win follows a superb 4-1 midweek victory at Downham Town, in which Beech and Dave Smith each netted twice.
Lightning said: "Tom's injury is not serious and both he and Andy Pettit should be available for Saturday.