Bedford Blues star Patrick Tapley shares his expertise with Ely’s rugby stars of the future at Lions Sports Academy camp
- Credit: Archant
Rugby prodigies from East Cambridgeshire were given a masterclass on rucking, mauling and passing by one of the stars of the RFU Championship.
25-year-old Bedford Blues winger Patrick Tapley stopped by at Ely Tigers Rugby Club on Downham Road to lend a hand with the Lions Sports Academy’s three-day rugby camp, which focused on the technical elements of scrummaging, rucking and mauling.
Tapley, who was the Blues’ top try-scorer two seasons ago, gave groups of under 9s and 10s tips on how to hone their footwork and ball handling alongside Lions Academy coach, Jamie Capon.
He said: “The camp went really really well and was very successful.
“I used to play down at Ely and grew up there so it was nice to give something back.
You may also want to watch:
“We’ve had great reviews from the parents and one said that their son was made up to get a picture with Pat.”
The academy came to Ely as part of its nationwide tour, which aims to develop the skills and careers of Britain’s young sports men and women.
- 1 Illegal poachers stopped in their tracks by eagle-eyed public
- 2 Dramatic pictures catch harvester on fire in 4am blaze
- 3 'Loving, caring family man' dies in hospital weeks after A141 crash
- 4 Mosque trust named RIBA client of the year 2021
- 5 Police investigation after village pavilion covered in graffiti
- 6 8 of the best shows coming to Cambridgeshire in November
- 7 Police pursuit of suspected hare coursers ends in success
- 8 Fireworks join Christmas lights on the Covid cancelled list for Ely
- 9 Rats are causing 'abhorrent situation' in town, admits councillor
- 10 US jets to practice flypast over Suffolk this morning
For more information, visit www.lionssports.academy.