Battling Ely Hold High-Flyers Leiston
A STURDY display from Ely City saw them battle their way to 0-0 draw at promotion chasers Leiston. After the setback at Wisbech in midweek, Ely had a point to prove and they did just that with a resurgent performance against some time league favourites Le
A STURDY display from Ely City saw them battle their way to 0-0 draw at promotion chasers Leiston.
After the setback at Wisbech in midweek, Ely had a point to prove and they did just that with a resurgent performance against some time league favourites Leiston.
Boss Denis Lightning, said: "The draw was a good result for us bearing in mind Leiston were heavily fancied for the league this year. We might even have won it in the last five as both Archer and Impey had good chances.
"I think that, after all the talk about Wisbech last week, we have proved in this game that with a full squad out we can match anyone."
You may also want to watch:
The game itself was largely an even affair with both midfields working relentlessly to try and take control of the game in the opening 45.
Though honours were justifiably even in the first half, Lightning's men had the better of the second and might justifiably have taken all three points late on as both Dale Archer and Nick Impey missed good chances.
- 1 Crews tackle huge Fens blaze
- 2 Woman has heart attack and dies in ambulance waiting for a hospital bed
- 3 Fundraiser for mum with terminal cancer to 'have a good Christmas with her family'
- 4 Crash driver flees leaving female passenger injured
- 5 'I think I hurt him bad mum' says Murder on the Doorstep killer
- 6 £330,000 fraudster burning evidence as police raid his home
- 7 ‘I’m Lovin It’ burglars caught by McDonald's trip
- 8 Stanley, 95, publishes first book to beat lockdown blues
- 9 Of all the places in all the city to park an uninsured 4x4
- 10 Residents asked to share ideas on how improve cycling and walking in East Cambs town
The Robins were also boosted by the return of favoured son Robbie Mason who managed 70 minutes on his return from an ankle injury picked up last month.