Battling draw brings curtain down on Robins’ season
- Credit: Archant
Football Brantham Athletic 1 Ely City 1
THE Robins finished their season with a hard-fought draw at promotion hopefuls Brantham last Thursday.
An early goal from the hosts brought painful memories of last week’s 8-1 drubbing at Gorleston flooding back but Ely held firm this time, and netted a quick-fire equaliser through Adam Murray.
Alan Alsop’s side finish the season in 11th place in the Thurlow Nunn Premier Division with 52 points from 38 matches.
Thursday’s opening goal came after 10 minutes as Nico Farthing’s clearance saw Ben Deacon race clear and he steered his shot inside the post and past Lee Pacey to give Brantham the lead.
You may also want to watch:
Unlike last week, Ely didn’t capitulate and got themselves back on terms just three minutes later as a free-kick was met by Murray to nod home his 10th goal of the season.
Alsop’s charges might even have taken the lead a few minutes later only for home goalkeeper Ryan Bedingfield to keep out a powerful drive with a superb finger-tip save.
- 1 Rowdy passengers force train cancellation
- 2 Daughter sets fire to father's bedroom after food outrage
- 3 Sparkling sake brewery launches in Ely
- 4 Man, 20, rapes woman as she slept, court told
- 5 Police buy clothes for Iranian children rescued from lorry
- 6 Child rapist from St Ives has been jailed after abuse
- 7 Woman delighted to finally be a mum after infertility heartache
- 8 Have your say on plans to improve city rail station
- 9 7 questions that could decide if you truly are from the Fens
- 10 Teen rape case prompts city market safety review
Both sides exchanged half-chances after the break but there were no further blows landed as the match, and the season, came to a close.