Battling draw brings curtain down on Robins’ season
- Credit: Archant
Football Brantham Athletic 1 Ely City 1
THE Robins finished their season with a hard-fought draw at promotion hopefuls Brantham last Thursday.
An early goal from the hosts brought painful memories of last week’s 8-1 drubbing at Gorleston flooding back but Ely held firm this time, and netted a quick-fire equaliser through Adam Murray.
Alan Alsop’s side finish the season in 11th place in the Thurlow Nunn Premier Division with 52 points from 38 matches.
Thursday’s opening goal came after 10 minutes as Nico Farthing’s clearance saw Ben Deacon race clear and he steered his shot inside the post and past Lee Pacey to give Brantham the lead.
Unlike last week, Ely didn’t capitulate and got themselves back on terms just three minutes later as a free-kick was met by Murray to nod home his 10th goal of the season.
Alsop’s charges might even have taken the lead a few minutes later only for home goalkeeper Ryan Bedingfield to keep out a powerful drive with a superb finger-tip save.
- 1 Family pay tribute to brothers, 13 and 17, killed in horror BMW crash
- 2 Boys, 13 and 17 killed in horror BMW crash near A47 in Peterborough
- 3 Table made from 5,000-year-old oak tree to be unveiled at Ely Cathedral in honour of The Queen
- 4 Girl, 7, left heartbroken after beloved rabbits are stolen
- 5 Food delivery robots taking to streets of Cambridgeshire
- 6 Recap: Severe disruption on Great Northern and Thameslink trains to London
- 7 Princess Anne waves from Range Rover after landing in Wisbech
- 8 Shoplifter who stole from store 10 times in five weeks handed CBO
- 9 Princess Anne visits Wisbech's new Citizens Advice Bureau on Cambs trip
- 10 Hand clinic offering additional type of treatment for arthritis sufferers
Both sides exchanged half-chances after the break but there were no further blows landed as the match, and the season, came to a close.