Batt’s the way
EAST HOCKEY LEAGUE DIVISION 3NW City of P boro 4th XI 1 Ely City 1st XI 2 ELY turned on the style when it mattered, coming from behind to take victory to remain at the top of the table. A late kick off meant that Ely lost former skipper Julian Palmer, du
EAST HOCKEY LEAGUE DIVISION 3NW
City of P'boro' 4th XI 1
Ely City 1st XI 2
ELY turned on the style when it mattered, coming from behind to take victory to remain at the top of the table.
A late kick off meant that Ely lost former skipper Julian Palmer, due to work commitments and Tommy Hugo filled in at his pivotal midfield roll
The hosts soon capitalised on poor defending, with an unmarked midfielder scoring from the edge of the D after a quick passing move.
- 1 Boys, 13 and 17 killed in horror BMW crash near A47 in Peterborough
- 2 'Normally unacceptable' barn demolition wins green light
- 3 Motorcyclist caught ‘speeding over 100mph’ past police near Ely
- 4 Man in his 40s suffers ‘life-changing injuries’ in major crash on A14
- 5 Ely Heroes winner, Alison, attends royal garden party after three-year wait
- 6 Shoplifter who stole from store 10 times in five weeks handed CBO
- 7 Police take a tough stance as begging crackdown continues
- 8 Pupils ensure 'Eel-izabeth' comes to life for Queen's Platinum Jubilee
- 9 REVEALED: The 'gang of five' who want Dr Nik Johnson gone
- 10 New March station will 'help people to use petrol and diesel cars less'
Ed Hugo, Grant Gilmour, Ed Batt, Stuart Clarke and Laurie Haslop linked well in Ely's response, but the visitors lacked inspiration and went into half-time 1-0 down.
The visitors dominated the second half and Clarke's deft touch equalised following a short corner routine.
Ely were then awarded a penalty flick after an Ed Hugo shot was stopped on the line by a Peterborough leg and Batt's hard, low shot made it 2-1.
Man of the match Rich Vincett made some sublime tackles in midfield along with Tom Rutledge to keep Peterborough at bay.
Ely squad: Chris Vincett, Richard Vincett, Tom Rutledge, Fez Abbas, Tommy Hugo, Grant Gilmour, Ed Hugo, Laurie Haslop, Charlie Kisby, Stuart Clarke, Ed Batt.