Basildon 15-30 Ely Tigers: McCarthy at the double as the Tigers roar into the top five
- Credit: Archant
Ely Tigers surged into the top five of the Eastern Counties London Three North-East Division courtesy of a fine victory over Basildon on Saturday.
A brace from Matt McCarthy, tries from Nathan Brooks, Matt Ings and accurate kicking from Joel Scott-Paul fired the Tigers to a 30-15 away success and a second match unbeaten.
The hosts kicked an early advantage, but Brooks responded in style following a rolling maul.
Scott Paul saw his conversion rebound off the post, but he soon made amends by firing a penalty to extend Ely’s lead.
McCarthy soon added his first of the afternoon after the ball was shipped out to the wing, and he notched his second just after the break after sprinting down the blindside.
You may also want to watch:
Scott Paul kicked another penalty to give his side even more breathing space, before Ings sealed Ely’s bonus point after picking up the ball from the back of a ruck and diving over.
The Tigers will look for a third match unbeaten when they return to action against Ilford Wanderers on December 10.
- 1 Man dies after lorry crashes into trees
- 2 Have a BREW-TIFUL day says the pub with a giant tea cup outside
- 3 Caught on camera: milk thieves strike in the city
- 4 Worst road in Fenland? You'd better believe it
- 5 Ely Museum team member retires after 16 years' service
- 6 Kevin’s powerful testimony challenges us to #DoTheRightThing
- 7 Drink driver fleeing traffic cops overturns before being arrested
- 8 Equipment worth £6,000 stolen from farm during overnight break-in
- 9 'Every number is a lost life' - Worst Covid affected care homes in Cambs
- 10 'Father' found guilty of murdering his teenage daughter