Basildon 15-30 Ely Tigers: McCarthy at the double as the Tigers roar into the top five
- Credit: Archant
Ely Tigers surged into the top five of the Eastern Counties London Three North-East Division courtesy of a fine victory over Basildon on Saturday.
A brace from Matt McCarthy, tries from Nathan Brooks, Matt Ings and accurate kicking from Joel Scott-Paul fired the Tigers to a 30-15 away success and a second match unbeaten.
The hosts kicked an early advantage, but Brooks responded in style following a rolling maul.
Scott Paul saw his conversion rebound off the post, but he soon made amends by firing a penalty to extend Ely’s lead.
McCarthy soon added his first of the afternoon after the ball was shipped out to the wing, and he notched his second just after the break after sprinting down the blindside.
You may also want to watch:
Scott Paul kicked another penalty to give his side even more breathing space, before Ings sealed Ely’s bonus point after picking up the ball from the back of a ruck and diving over.
The Tigers will look for a third match unbeaten when they return to action against Ilford Wanderers on December 10.
- 1 Crews tackle huge Fens blaze
- 2 Fundraiser for mum with terminal cancer to 'have a good Christmas with her family'
- 3 Crash driver flees leaving female passenger injured
- 4 ‘I’m Lovin It’ burglars caught by McDonald's trip
- 5 'I think I hurt him bad mum' says Murder on the Doorstep killer
- 6 Heroin dealer kept machete at home
- 7 Of all the places in all the city to park an uninsured 4x4
- 8 £330,000 fraudster burning evidence as police raid his home
- 9 Stanley, 95, publishes first book to beat lockdown blues
- 10 22 arrests, drugs, cash and weapons seized in county lines crackdown