Badminton: Troubles for the doubles
THERE was disappointment for the county s players in the 39th Cambridgeshire Open Badminton Tournament, held at Burwell Sports Centre on Friday and Saturday. Natalie Davey reached the quarter-final of the ladies singles but she and Olga Bryant were beate
THERE was disappointment for the county's players in the 39th Cambridgeshire Open Badminton Tournament, held at Burwell Sports Centre on Friday and Saturday.
Natalie Davey reached the quarter-final of the ladies' singles but she and Olga Bryant were beaten in a tight game in the first round of the ladies' doubles.
Nick Pratt and Bryant just managed to get through one round in the mixed doubles but were not able to reproduce their outstanding league form.
Essex's Daniel Plant retained the men's singles title for the fifth successive year when he defeated Ian Murphy (Norfolk) 15-4, 15-3.
You may also want to watch:
Michelle Cheung (Bucks) also retained her ladies' singles title, beating Essex's Sarah Walker by a score of 11-8, 11-6.
Plant and Murphy failed to retain their men's doubles title. In the final, fatigue overtook them and they were no match for the younger and fresher pair of Tom Armstrong (Leics) and Chris Roe (Warwicks), who won 15-2, 15-6.
- 1 Illegal poachers stopped in their tracks by eagle-eyed public
- 2 Dramatic pictures catch harvester on fire in 4am blaze
- 3 Police pursuit of suspected hare coursers ends in success
- 4 Mosque trust named RIBA client of the year 2021
- 5 'Loving, caring family man' dies in hospital weeks after A141 crash
- 6 Meet the star cast of Christmas pantomime Sleeping Beauty
- 7 Police investigation after village pavilion covered in graffiti
- 8 Council expects to spend £2.4m less on older people due to 'Covid loss'
- 9 US jets to practice flypast over Suffolk this morning
- 10 Lisa Leader makes it to Germany for life prolonging treatment
In another disappointing final, Catherine Grant (Warwicks) and Samantha Ward (Surrey) defeated Katie Comras (Herts) and Sarah Walker 15-3, 15-2 in the ladies' doubles.
Armstrong and Grant teamed up to take mixed doubles title, winning 5-15, 15-10, 15-7 against the unseeded Justin Andrews (Wilts) and Karen Chittenden (Avon).