Badminton: Troubles for the doubles
THERE was disappointment for the county s players in the 39th Cambridgeshire Open Badminton Tournament, held at Burwell Sports Centre on Friday and Saturday. Natalie Davey reached the quarter-final of the ladies singles but she and Olga Bryant were beate
THERE was disappointment for the county's players in the 39th Cambridgeshire Open Badminton Tournament, held at Burwell Sports Centre on Friday and Saturday.
Natalie Davey reached the quarter-final of the ladies' singles but she and Olga Bryant were beaten in a tight game in the first round of the ladies' doubles.
Nick Pratt and Bryant just managed to get through one round in the mixed doubles but were not able to reproduce their outstanding league form.
Essex's Daniel Plant retained the men's singles title for the fifth successive year when he defeated Ian Murphy (Norfolk) 15-4, 15-3.
Michelle Cheung (Bucks) also retained her ladies' singles title, beating Essex's Sarah Walker by a score of 11-8, 11-6.
Plant and Murphy failed to retain their men's doubles title. In the final, fatigue overtook them and they were no match for the younger and fresher pair of Tom Armstrong (Leics) and Chris Roe (Warwicks), who won 15-2, 15-6.
- 1 Man caught red-handed after series of drug raids
- 2 Post office and village shop moves into old Baptist chapel
- 3 Man in 50s dies after medical incident in field
- 4 Baby murder trial jury told dad was angry at social services involvement
- 5 'She had her whole life ahead of her': Charity skydive in memory of fatal crash victim
- 6 Eco-home will be icing on the cake for 'Good Life' couple
- 7 Aspiring photographer, 10, captures Ely's winter sunrise on camera
- 8 Murder suspects continue to be quizzed as detectives seek CCTV
- 9 'Shocking' abuse left partner 'vulnerable and afraid'
- 10 Sewage upgrade to continue in village with two-way traffic lights
In another disappointing final, Catherine Grant (Warwicks) and Samantha Ward (Surrey) defeated Katie Comras (Herts) and Sarah Walker 15-3, 15-2 in the ladies' doubles.
Armstrong and Grant teamed up to take mixed doubles title, winning 5-15, 15-10, 15-7 against the unseeded Justin Andrews (Wilts) and Karen Chittenden (Avon).