Bad Weather affects Ely Sailors
ELY SAILING CLUB BAD weather and a lack of available competitors led to the postponement of the Bank Holiday event, but the previous meeting was an Eastern Area Laser Open. Eight Ely sailors and five visitors were faced by high winds, and Alex Tory – offi
ELY SAILING CLUB
BAD weather and a lack of available competitors led to the postponement of the Bank Holiday event, but the previous meeting was an Eastern Area Laser Open.
Eight Ely sailors and five visitors were faced by high winds, and Alex Tory - officer for the day - had the task of setting the courses to test a highly competitive fleet.
Gaining a good start and a clear wind proved vital, and Alan Bishop (Fishers Green Sailing Club) just managed to reach the first mark in front after choosing what turned out to be the correct side in the final 100 metres of the first leg in the opening race.
You may also want to watch:
He then sailed clear whilst his rivals changed places on each leg of the course.
James Cully (Norfolk Broads Yacht Club) followed Bishop over the line, with Martin Evans (Dabchicks Sailing Club) in third spot.
- 1 Illegal poachers stopped in their tracks by eagle-eyed public
- 2 Dramatic pictures catch harvester on fire in 4am blaze
- 3 Police pursuit of suspected hare coursers ends in success
- 4 Mosque trust named RIBA client of the year 2021
- 5 'Loving, caring family man' dies in hospital weeks after A141 crash
- 6 Meet the star cast of Christmas pantomime Sleeping Beauty
- 7 Police investigation after village pavilion covered in graffiti
- 8 Council expects to spend £2.4m less on older people due to 'Covid loss'
- 9 US jets to practice flypast over Suffolk this morning
- 10 Lisa Leader makes it to Germany for life prolonging treatment
The second race was closer, with Cully managing to lead Bishop for the whole of the first lap.
The Fishers Green sailor overhauled Cully however, and Evans made steady progress into second before Andy Wilcox just beat Cully around the final buoy to snatch third.
Cully again made a quick getaway in race three, but Evans was ahead by the end of lap two and held on comfortably to win.
Cully held on for second and Jarvis Simpson claimed third spot.
1st: Bishop (2 pts); 2nd: Evans (3 pts); 3rd: Cully (4 pts).
First Ely laser: 4th: Wilcox (7 pts).
First Lady helm: 6th: Hannah Christan (10 pts)